Current Location
    Cambridge
    Member Type
    Osteopath
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question Spinal Muscular Atrophy

Hi,

I've been doing some research as a patient has presented at my private clinic with Spinal Muscular atrophy. They are 30 years old, female, severe Wikipedia reference-linkscoliosis and had spinal surgery at age 9 but have outgrown the rods so are having to currently consider further surgery.

They are wanting to consider manual therapy for the following reasons:

• To maintain the quality of the viable skeletal muscle
    • Currently the right arm shoulder is the main active limb and want to maintain this. Experiencing right post shoulder P more frequently
    • Left elbow when in wheelchair is used to support the thorax (left sided scolosis) and concern about longer term effects of this posture
    • Both forearms have virtually no supination at present (always the case through reluctance of this particular rehab as a child)
    • Circulatory issues in the lower limbs in general but noticed for approx 6/12

Concerns
    • Patient has had 'no' manual/physical therapy/rehab since a child, including any chest physiotherapy although they are on a ventilator and experience the typical problems with respiratory weakness and infections throughout the year.
    • Patient has very little triceps strength, which in the wheel chair is not a problem but when supine presents major issues.
    • They are getting a new customised wheelchair in the coming months but have been experiencing P in the R hip (previously dislocated) with associated numbness in the lateral R foot.

So.....has anyone had any experience of working with patients with SMA or similar conditions? The patient is 'extremely' keen to at least maintain current mobility and is considering the potential for future pregnancy (they have discussed with physician so understand implications). They are also keen for any improvements in strength/mobility/respiratory function.

Have been surprised at lack of information about this so any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Vicki