Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Fullerton Advanced Balance (FAB) Scale and its reliability and validi

There have been two studies that I could find have examined the reliability of the this test (refs below). However neither study used bona fide reliability statistics. The authors of both studies opted for using Spearman's Ranked correlation coefficient which measures the level of correlation between raters and not agreement between raters. Therefore this is pretty misleading. In terms of reliability one seemed to show only mild correlation and one seemed to show somewhat better.

There two studies I found that demonstrated some predictive validity of the test although didn't seem that accurate (81.4% sensitivity and 56.1%specificity in one and 76.9% sensitivity and 49.3% specificity in the other) - pretty weak. The berg balance scale does much better across a wide range of disabilities. Interestingly the shortened 4 item version performed better than the original longer version

Just looking at the items it looks like a test that samples a number of components for balance which is good - better than the Berg and probably less likely to have ceiling effects than the Berg.

However if you want to have a relatively new measure that doesn't have ceiling effects, actually gives you diagnostic information about what component system of balance problem the patient is experiencing and has excellent reliability have a look at the BESTest. There is a full version and a MiniBESTest. The full version is a very long test and for many patients is too exhausting. But I appreciate the thoroughness of the test and that it isn't just and outcome measure but seriously addresses the multifaceted nature of balance. IN this way it is a true test battery for balance. And if you want to you can use each of the six subscales independently of the whole test. the tests incorporates a large number of existing tests that have already established reliability and validity.

The author (Fay Horak) has an excellent website containing background info, articles forms and training videos. It takes a bit to learn how to administer the test. The Reactive postural perturbations take quite a bit of skill to master but have genuinely attempted to standardise the delivery of external perturbations - the big problem with most reactive balance tests. Here is the website:

Balance Evaluation Systems Test: BESTest

Flores, G.. Establishing test-retest reliability of the Short-Form Version of the Fullerton Advanced Balance scale in individuals with fibromyalgia. M.S. dissertation, California State University, Fullerton, United States -- California. Retrieved July 13, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: A&I.(Publication No. AAT 1460633).

de los Santos, Ruth (2004). Establishing intra- and inter-rater reliability of the Fullerton Advanced Balance (FAB) scale with non-clinicians. M.S. dissertation, California State University, Fullerton, United States -- California. Retrieved July 13, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: A&I.(Publication No. AAT 1424353).

Hernandez, D.. An examination of the discriminatory and predictive properties of the Fullerton Advanced Balance Scale. M.S. dissertation, California State University, Fullerton, United States -- California. Retrieved July 13, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: A&I.(Publication No. AAT 1442276).

Rose, D., & Hernandez, D.. (2008). PREDICTING WHICH OLDER ADULTS WILL OR WILL NOT FALL USING A SHORTER 4-ITEM VERSION OF THE FULLERTON ADVANCED BALANCE SCALE. The Gerontologist: 61st Annual Scientific Meeting "Resilience in an Aging... SPECIAL ISSUE III, 48, 148. Retrieved July 13, 2010, from Health Module. (Document ID: 1643610511).

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Fullerton Advanced Balance(FAB)Scale score like mild,moderate or severe or in numbers

tell me FAB score and modified clinical test for sensory integration on balance score validity and reliability

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Fullerton Advanced Balance (FAB) Scale and its reliability and validi

I haven't got the data in front of me but I know the CTSIB has good reliability. It has also been used with children with adequate to good reliability. People with vestibular disease demonstrably show poorer performance so it has some diagnostic validity for vestibular disease.

there is some debate about whether the lampshade adds any value and many of the studies just have the four conditions (Modified CTSIB)

I think you would find the Fullerton more demanding a test for many people. but perhaps they are really measuring different aspects of balance

The modified CTSIB is also included in the BESTest