Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Weekend criterias for physiotherapy referral in acute neuro services

Good morning,

I am trying to determine criterias that patients need to fit to be referred for physiotherapy intervention during evening and weekend in acute setting. Anyone can help with this?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Weekend criterias for physiotherapy referral in acute neuro services

Hi,
    I did the same about 15 years ago, so my stuff is outdated, but I can tell you how I did it.
    1) Literature search for 5 day vs. 7 day service for acute stroke
    * when I did it, there was strong evidence to provide new patients with assessment, mobilisation, positioning charts/ advise and education for patient and family; there was only very weak evidence for 7 day continuous rehabilitation service for established patients
    2) Audit 1: I did an audit and counted the number of new stroke patients that were admitted to our hospital (Fri afternoon to Sunday night) over 3 months
    * cannot remember the numbers, but it was somewhere in the lines of 2 - 5
    3) Audit 2: I did an audit to investigate what other hospitals (nationwide) offer and how they prioritise
    * most hospitals oare only funded for an acute respiratory service; some had a 7 day orthopaedic service for certain patient groups
    4) Budget: I did an audit for the last 10 years about how much money was allowed for a general weekend service for the Physiotherapy department
    * the budget was pathetic and had not been based on any EBP or hospital best practice guidelines, not even for respiratory :-)

My outcome was that evidence shows that all new Stroke patients should have a Physio screening assessment and immediate education/ basic treatment start on Saturday and on Sunday.
    Needless to say that we were told that the budget does not allow for such a service. I have since left, so don't know what the situation is these days.
    Regards,
    Fyzzio