Current Location
    Hyderabad
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Help me with these questions ?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Recently I had a surgery to my left patella(knee cap) on march 8th, 2010. Knee cap was wired and 2 pins were drilled in, It's been 7 weeks since i got surgery. I have these problems and doubts which i would like to share with you

1) I can't bend my knee completely, can i be able to do it completely ?
    2) My left patella and skin around it is still stiff, will it become normal ?
    3) I haven't been taking any physio classes, doing exercises on my own, is it ok ?
    4) I'm climbing stairs can i continue ?
    5) Can I play cricket, badminton as before ?

I'm so so worried about these.....................please please answer my questions

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Help me with these questions ?

I presume you fractured your patella?

After this sort of surgery you should get physiotherapy. the patella is part of the mechanism of the quadriceps muscle that controls your knee. The quadriceps muscle is the very big muscle in the front of your thigh. The patella is continuous with the muscle and acts as part of a pulley mechanism that straightens your knee. When it is damaged the whole pulley mechanism is affected. Following the imobilisation after the surgery the mechanism becomes stiff due to the swelling and inflammation around the fracture and surgery. the quadriceps muscle can't work properly and it becomes weak.

In contrast undergoing rehabilitation where the various parts of the pulley mechanism are strengthened and stimulated to work properly well help get a better result.

You really should be getting advice from your surgeon and a physiotherapist.

1) I can't bend my knee completely, can i be able to do it completely ?
    this is usually due to the immobilisation and damage to the joint surface of the patella. The muscle may also have lost it's normally length . these factors can stop the knee bending properly
    2) My left patella and skin around it is still stiff, will it become normal ?
    Most likely this is due to the imobilisation and the swelling. the swollen tissues can lay down scar tissue that can make matters worse. Physiotherapy can help to mobilise the patella and improve the pulley action of the muscle. Whether or not it will ever be normal depends on how bad the break was and how good the surgery is but rehabilitation will usually help a lot.
    3) I haven't been taking any physio classes, doing exercises on my own, is it ok ?
    This is a critical time to get help. the bone should have healed so the knee should be ready for physiotherapy. Delaying treatment could result in a poorer outcome
    4) I'm climbing stairs can i continue ?
    This is the sort of thing you need to get advice on. Without a proper assessment of your knee I wouldn't want to give you advice.
    5) Can I play cricket, badminton as before ?
    these would make good goals in rehabilitation to work towards. Usually you need to work up to these things and a programme of mobilisation and strengthening may help you get there.

Please don't ask advice on specific exercises. You need to consult a well qualified physiotherapist who can properly examine your knee and is aware of the surgery you have undergone.. The physio should consult with your surgeon on the best approach to take.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    mumbai
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hi,i have gone thru an surgery before 8 months with an intramedullary nail without locking and now after 8 month its not showing good healing so ,doctor are advicing to go through another surgery will that be a good option or is ther anyother measure to get healing .and also if i will be going thru an operation replacement of nail with lock can that is the remedy ????..

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Monukamonu

I couldn't advise you on that. When you say it is not showing good healing do you mean the bone has not united? If that is the case then the surgeon may really need to do something.

You really need to get advice from the orthopaedic surgeon. You could seek a second opinion from another surgeon before going ahead with it. This is often a good idea. If both surgeons agree then you are more likely to be sure this is the best option. You would need to take the images to the second surgeon.