Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ankle sprain / fibula fracture initial assessment / rehab

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    hey, i am to do an initial examination on a patient who has just had a cast removed after 3 weeks following an inversion injury resulting in ankle sprain and fracture of fibula. I am just wondering if the fibula fracture should warrant altering any of my assessment or should i just continue as I would with just a lateral ankle sprain assessment? I was planning to assess both active and passive movements, muscle strength, and circumference to address swelling and atrophy. any thoughts on this or something else i should include ?

Similar Threads:

MSK Physiotherapist Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Bristol
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ankle sprain / fibula fracture initial assessment / rehab

Hello,
    You may or may not have complete your assessment yet and now I suspect you've done some reading around this type of injury,
    if not then things you may want to consider are;
    soft tissue healing
    bone healing
    type of # (weber classification)
    mechanism of injury
    Patients expectations
    Patients goals
    Motivation etc
    They may of visited an orthopaedic surgeon and have a protocol to adhere too so you are right your initial assessment may change somewhat depending on what they present with once cast is off and they are in front of you.

good luck

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Armenia
    Current Location
    world
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ankle sprain / fibula fracture initial assessment / rehab

Yes it does definitely alter your assessment since you have to understand that a fracture of the Fibula can alter the movement pattern of the foot and the movement in the proximal and distal syndesmosis (joint) between fibula and Tibia with effects on the Dorsiflexion-plantar flexion of the foot and the external rotation of the knee.
    In general a consultant will not give you a specific protocol since it is assumed a straight foreward rehabilitation after green light is given for full weight bearing.
    What you need to know is pointed out by leebpt, as well as considering the grade of ligament tear which will be at least a grade 2 of ATFL, PTFL. Also these type of injuries can potentially obstruct the deep peroneal and Sural nerve as well as causing displacement of Tarsal bones (Especially Calcaneum, subtalar joint and Cuboid)
    Hope this helps