Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
    phunphysio

Tricky CHARGE baby...ideas please?!?

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    Hi all,

A patient of mine is testing me, ideas appreciated.

A 14 month old boy with CHARGE syndrome, sickly infancy, medically stable although peg fed into jejenum. Multiple problems with infections etc with the peg. I believe this has caused the child pain and is one of the contributing factors to his lack of tolerance for prone and sitting.
    Overall low muscle tone and uses extension to avoid positions etc.
    In supine-plays with feet on facilitation, rolls to prone, equilibrium developed
    In Prone-Elbow support, tolerates 1 mintue before becoming upset+++
    Head to 70deg, no antigravity legs, no antigravity stomach
    In supported sitting-Hates+++ Extends, unable to hold into position
    Side sitting-No tolerance, extends
    Stride sitting over thigh, tolerates better? less pressure on abdo
    Kneeling, high and low (4 point and at a surface)-Tolerates 1-2 mintues, dislikes, extends given any opportunity
    Standing-Improving, tolerates sit astride to standing

Transitions, impossible given lack of tolerance for positions. He gets so worked up therapy sessions become intolerable.

We had been working on the prone play with a wedge and a cut out doughnut for the peg without success. So I have gone up to the standing position and working on a sit to stand here which is about the only thing apart from supine that he is willing to do.

I am Vicky Meade trained and tried everything I can think of. Any special ideas anyone.