Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

walker in Hypotonia

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    Hello all,
    I treat a little girl who is 18 months old . she came to me when she was 13 months old with hypotonia and developmental delay. she has flaring of the lower ribs and very poor musculature in the upper back . Her Wikipedia reference-linkMRI came fine and she doesnt have a diagnosis yet. She has made steady progress which plateaued in November last year. Now she is in a prone stander for 20-30 min 2 times a day with leg gaiters. She can sit independently but does not crawl.
    I am aiming to move her to a TOT stander in a month or two before getting her a walker . Am i in the right direction ? what are the pre-requisites for a child with hypotonia to start walking. Any suggestions with the type of walkers ?
    Thanking you all in advance
    RJ

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: walker in Hypotonia

Hi RJ

Lets do some clinical problem solving here. I am not sure that passive standing is going to do much for her muscle strength and motor control. The question is - are there ways to get her more active so that she develops the strength to pull herself into standing.

You have a child who can sit independently - but is not crawling or pulling up to standing.

How eager is she to move - does she reach out for toys, play with toys? Is she interested in doing things for herself. What motivates her?

Tell us a little more about what she can do in sitting and lying.

What can she do when she is lying on her back?
    What does she do when she is lying in prone?
    Can she move from lying to sitting?
    Does she move around on her bottom in sitting?
    Is she bale to pull herself up to standing?
    What happens when you support her in standing - does she take weight on her legs?
    What can she do with her hands?

Best wishes
    Pam

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Now she is in a prone stander for 20-30 min 2 times a day with leg gaiters. She can sit independently but does not crawl.
    Interestingly we take the independent standing seriously. Any how since she seems to do this only, let me ask u wat r the steps did u take to improve the strength of the muscles? Hypotonia U say , what r the deformities u see with her? Can U also elaborate on her abilities more? I would also like to see the answers for the question by PAM.

estherderu

dear govindt,

I find it a pity that you have never answered the questions that both colleagues who took the time to react have posed.
    I too would like to know more about how this child is getting on.

Please inform us.

kind regards

Esther