Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question approximation ??

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    hi people,,

i hope you all doing well,

actually i want you to help me in the technique of the approximation in childern,, and the its mechanisms or effects..

and thanks alot

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: approximation ??

Approximation is a technique used in therapy approaches which are based on older reflex based conceptions of movement control.

The theory states compression through the joint increases extensor tone or promotes stabilization around a joint.

However I am not aware of any research that demonstrates that this actually happens in practice.

Modern approaches to intervention emphasize motor learning and task based practice. Techniques that emphasize sensory input, such as approximation, to normalise tone are not used.

If you tell us a little more about the movement difficulties the child has - perhaps I can give you some task based suggestions for improving the child's function.

Best wishes

Pam

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    ohio
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: approximation ??

Quote Originally Posted by PamVersfeld View Post
    Approximation is a technique used in therapy approaches which are based on older reflex based conceptions of movement control.

The theory states compression through the joint increases extensor tone or promotes stabilization around a joint.

However I am not aware of any research that demonstrates that this actually happens in practice.

Modern approaches to intervention emphasize motor learning and task based practice. Techniques that emphasize sensory input, such as approximation, to normalise tone are not used.

If you tell us a little more about the movement difficulties the child has - perhaps I can give you some task based suggestions for improving the child's function.

Best wishes

Pam
    Is this technique applicable to a 2 year old special child?