Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Online CPD: introduction to paediatric physiotherapy tutorials

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    The SfA Webmanual is a website dedicated to providing physiotherapists with up to date information on evidence based practice in paediatric movement therapy.

The early intervention tutorial series

SfA Webmanual has also initiated a series of tutorials that will provide physiotherapists with an introduction to early intervention. Each tutorial has four 3-4 sections, requiring about 45 minutes to complete. The tutorials provide information on development as well as intervention ideas, illustrated with video clips.

Now available:Spontaneous movement and early development in supine

This tutorial looks at development in supine over the first six months, and highlights the importance of early experience in developing the first postural responses to gravity. The section on intervention provides many ideas for intervention to promote active movement in supine.

Sign up and join the worldwide discussion with colleagues exploring new and exciting ways to promote development based on the best available evidence.

Similar Threads:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PamVersfeld For This Useful Post:

estherderu

Re: Online CPD: introduction to paediatric physiotherapy tutorials

I recommend this website as a great (very up-to-date) resource to information about the developing child.

Great job Pam!

Esther

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yep thanks for the information on your new tutorial website, and please do continue to post useful information for the wider paeds community to this site. Sharing is what we're all about on the Physio Forum and it's nice to have you involved

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to physiobob For This Useful Post:

PamVersfeld (09-04-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello everyone

The SfA Webmanual has been updated with a new page on idiopathic toe walking and information on the role of fascia in flexibility.

best wishes

Pam

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PamVersfeld For This Useful Post:

humera (15-05-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Queens, New York
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by PamVersfeld View Post
    Hello everyone

The SfA Webmanual has been updated with a new page on idiopathic toe walking and information on the role of fascia in flexibility.

best wishes

Pam
    I appreciated your description of the idiopathic toe-walking. It was consise with large consideration of the literature.

Although, I am not sure how you've assessed joint, muscle length or myofascial restrictions. These assertions are certainly not evidence-based. Where is the source of your theory of restrictions in myofascial and neural structures? Are there any data to confirm these hypotheses?

Also, I don't see how addressing these 'movement restrictions' affect the motor behavior of toe-walking even if restrictions exist. You're not changing the actual problem, but a proposed problem that might otherwise be irrelevant.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you Bobby for your comments.

You are quite correct - there is no published evidence to support my claims that idiopathic toe walking is associated with decreased flexibility of mutiple-joint structures that cross from the lumbar region across the hips and knees.

However, any physiotherapy assessment starts with an assessment of range of movement and strength. This is standard and accepted practice. All I am claiming is that if you assess range of movement that is considered to be restricted by extensibility of two joint muscles (and the associated fascial structures) or by neural tissue mobility, there is a pattern of restriction that is commonly seen. In particular straight leg raise with dorsiflexion is more limited than straight leg raise. Hip external rotation with the hip in extension is also restricted, often to less that 10 degrees. In addition hip adduction with the hip in extension (modified Thomas test) is also restricted, with a loss of range of up to 10 - 20 degrees.

In contrast to this there may be 90 degrees of passive dorsiflexion - so the range of dorsiflexion may not be the limiting factor at all.

And yes you are correct - the gait pattern needs to be addressed - along with the child's poorly developed ankle balance strategies etc.

My argument is that when assessing a child with habitual toe walking, we need to look beyond the obvious, which in this case is the decreased range of dorsiflexion, and address the interaction between body segments and possible factors that impact on the child's gait pattern.

At present there is limited evidence to guide clinical decision making in idiopathic toe walking. What research has been done has been very narrow in its analysis of the possible causative and contributing factors. What I am proposing is a broader analysis of possible factors. Clinical assessment of the individual child will either confirm or refute my suggestions.

And yes, you are right, research is needed to either confirm or refute my basic hypothesis. This hypothesis is based on detailed clinical observation and recognition of a pattern of findings, which is a good place to start when formulating a research question. And I hope that some young researcher will look at my ideas and maybe do the needed research. In the meantime, the individual clinician who has read my article will perhaps broaden her view of the underlying problem and the possible solutions. My experience is that by addressing both flexibility and coordination issues children's gait pattern can be changed.

Pam