New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Locomotor milestones in children under 5

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    Hi,
    I am wondering whether anyone has got detailed information on development of walking and balance/ locomotor skills/ "norms" for children under 5. Am basically looking for guidelines to screen children before referring them on.
    Have got some general milestone tables, but most are rather unspecific.
    Internet searches are either inconclusive or they guide me to books and assessment tools like Peabody/ AIMS.

???

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Similar Threads:

estherderu

Re: Locomotor milestones in children under 5

dear Fyzzzio

Lots of information regarding development of the young infant can be found on:

SfA Resources for Parents and Teachers | skillsforaction.com & NYU Infant Action Lab

Go to www.canchild.ca for lots of information regarding various disorders and the test possibilities.

We have become more reluctant to using 'milestones' as we now know that the development of a child can be very variable and still considered normal.

kind regards

Esther

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks, Esther.
    Great websites, plenty of information - unfortunately none, that get me any further.
    There might be something on one of them, but I have to be a paid member to access it. :-)

Anyway, I recon it's very difficult to pinpoint.

Cheers,
    Taimana

estherderu

hi Taimana,
    Well there are resources enough out there with lists, just bear in mind that they are a guideline, no more....
    WHO | The WHO Child Growth Standards
    go to CanChild Centre for Childhood Disability Research and enter milestones and you will see 9 articles relating to milestones there.
    AND ZERO TO THREE: Homepage is a website with milestones of the 0-3 population... lots of information for parents on this site as well.

kind regards
    Esther

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Pakistan
    Current Location
    pakistan
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello Taimana,
    there is GMFM score sheet available on can child website. this score sheet comprised of 88 items enlisting the normal sequence of development in children under age 5. hope this would help you to carry on your assignment.

regards,
    Humera.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Humera.
    Sorry, can only find all the information, but it appears that the software package for GMFM has to be purchased.
    Anyway, it is only really validated for CP.
    I have completed the assessment that I was asked to do and discussed it with a Physio from a Child Centre. So, I feel much happier now. :-)
    Thanks ever so much for your efforts.
    Kind regards,
    Andrea

estherderu

dear Fyzzion,

sorry I have to refine this a little.
    The GMFM is validated for CP that is true but on the website you can read that; "While the original measure was designed and
    validated for children with cerebral palsy, there is evidence that the GMFM-88 version of the measure is also valid for use with
    children with Down Syndrome. The updated GMFM-66 version is ONLY valid for use with children with cerebral palsy.
    As the GMFM-88 samples motor skills that are typical of normal developmental milestones, it may be useful for children other
    than those with whom it has been validated; however reliability and validity should be established prior to using it with other
    groups of children. "

So it is a good reference for the milestones.... but you do need to buy the book (including DVD).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to estherderu For This Useful Post:

Locomotor milestones in children under 5

Fyzzio (18-05-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Pakistan
    Current Location
    pakistan
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear fyzzio,
    Estherderu explained in detail that GMFM 88 can be used as for children with developmental delays other than CP. score sheet of this test is available online and can be print out for use. as your original question was about detailed information on development of walking and balance/ locomotor skills/ "norms" for children under 5, I still believe that score sheet can provide you a guidline in a sequence that how children acquire normal developmental stages regarding development and balance. you can use those one by one to screen and refer your children. yes surely you would need a manual in order to use GMFM as a standardized test. But till you are not in the position to get the manual, atleast this score sheet may help you to get the idea what to check first and what is expected next.

regards,
    Humera.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi humera,
    thanks.
    I never said that I am looking at children with developmental delays! I am assessing children to check for physical deficits.
    And yes, I was able to find the scoresheet on the internet a while ago. It's a great way of assessing children, I just have problems with the interpretation of the results - this is, where I presume the book comes in.

estherderu

I'm afraid it does, and it is really worth your while to buy it.
    Scores are outlined and give you a good indication of what the child can/cannot do.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Emsworth
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi, I know you did this post a while ago but I tend to use a book called - 'From Birth to Five Years - Children's Developmental Progress' by Mary D. Sheridan. I bought my copy on Amazon for £7.99 ISBN 0-415-16458-3. It is a small book that covers topics at different ages on: Posture and large movements, Vision and fine movements, Hearing and Speech, Social behaviour and play; at ages: Newborn, 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 & 18 months, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 & 5 years. It also includes illustrations and more detail on Patterns of Development in section 2. All in all a good buy for checking that a child is on the right path in their milestones.
    Gina