Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Sensory Integration

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    Hey there, I'd really appreciate it if anybody could direct me to some material in relation to sensory integration for children with Learning Difficulties. I've come across material about the ANSUA Development programme, but it doesn't really tell me what kind of activities in detail, can be used in a treatment programme.
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Kenya
    Current Location
    United Arab Emirates
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Sensory Integration

Sensory integration focuses primarily on three basic senses--tactile, vestibular, and proprioceptive. Their interconnections start forming before birth and continue to develop as the person matures and interacts with his/her environment.

The tactile senses are re-educated by collecting several items of different textures; soft to rough. Then begining with the soft texture (like wool) stroking the palms, back of the hands, forearms, arms, face with it. This should be done for about 30 sec at various regions of the body and repeated every now and then continued for a few days, till the child is comfortable or familiar with it. Then you progress in texture.... when progressing, you will introduce the first soft texture, then the new slightly harsher one.... example wool then silk then cotton then something prickly till you get to a comb or brush. Progressing depends on the reaction of the patient.

This is how i have seen it done in an Out Patient set up where full SI was not available. But if you have developed a SI room, then the same theory applies, you start with one sensation at a time and then provide all.

Ofcoarse with this you will give vestibular ex's (tilting, rolling, etc) and proprioceptive ( weight bearing on hands, legs, knees, etc)

Hope this helps. :-)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

is it possible to regain sensation lost in the limbs if the sensation lost is only 40%. the pt is an adult of age 30.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Armenia
    Current Location
    world
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

With sensory intergration one has to know the cause of the loss, p.e. which part of the brain is affected and how. Also you need to know this otherwise it is not possible to do an estimate of what can be expected in the process. When you have outlined the problems you can make an individualised treatment plan. There is no point on just following a ready made treatment plan because at least with children the connection between behaviour p.e. concentration, interests is vital to the progress.
    Response 2 Yes if someone is 30 and has some loss of sensory it can be possible to have progress if you know the background of the loss

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I am a physio and I have 2 out of my 3 children with a diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder, Dyspraxia and ADHD. Great combination. Now I understand many of the parents I saw in outpatients who really struggled because i am there now.

I would look at the neurodevelopmental reflexes which may not be integrated. For this you should also read the work by Sally Blythe Goddard. Very detailed but very interesting.
    Also the work by J. Ayres who was one of the first people to look at sensory integration and her work is found in an excellent book by a lady called Carol K (can.t remember her surname) called Sensational Kids. (you can find it on amazon).

Look at postural tone and indeed indurance. understand if the child is high or low threshold sensitive etc what is driving the child's experience of her environment. Is it vestibular, auditory, occular, kinaesthetic etc.

It is an absolutely facinating area that i never studied at college. There is alot of work out there to read about and I can tell you as a mother that when someone explains why you have 2 human tornados, why the teachers exclude and how you can change the situation you have a super compliant patient and you really have made a difference in a family's life.

My children are not nightmares but the constant failure to thrive, worry and sometimes lack of being in control really wears famillies down. Whilst I said to my self at the time of diagnosis, why me? I ended up thinking thank goodness their Mum is a physio I can atleast reat and understand the litterature.

Good luck.

Think fun and the kids will love going to treatment.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    delhi, india
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

while dealing with patients affecting from sensory issues the foremost thing is the role of the treatment environment(which is ofcourse contolled by the therapist)....... and let the child explore that environment and do the activities according to his will.