Current Location
    Somewhere on earth
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Red face cerebral palsy-Extensor thrust

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    hi there, i am new to this forum and very happy to be a part of it too.
    I am seeing a child of age 2 1/2 yrs with a strong extensor thrust. he has poor head control, rolling from supine to prone with assistance. when placed in sitting he can hold up his head for a few seconds, very poor usage of hands for manipulation though he tries. I think his movements are hampered due to this extensor thrust. Vision is fair, hearing good. can anyone suggest NDT based head control activities. Now i try to place him in sitting and hold the head in midline and encourage him to look at toysetc. is there anything more that i can do. PLEASE HELP......

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Indonesia
    Current Location
    Indonesia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: cerebral palsy-Extensor thrust

oc.extensor thrust it's difficult but u can try this...i always give home work to parents how to courage the patient is.1st treatment is a good postioning every day with flex position for example in sleeping,eating, every daily living...
    if the home work can't do, ithink it's very difficult to lose their extensor thrust..

estherderu

Re: cerebral palsy-Extensor thrust

dear colleagues,
    I have been a paediatric physio for 30 yrs. A lot of recent information about treatment goals and therapy ideas can be downloaded for free in various languages. The Global-help organisation is a not-for-profit organisation and it publishes articles and books on cerebral palsy,clubfoot,orthopaedics, plastic surgery, rehabilitation, spina bifida and wounds, both aimed at parents and professionals. It is run by many volunteers.

Global-HELP : Non-Profit Low-Cost Health Publications
    Among others there is the help guide to cerebral palsy 2005

The current view of many qualified PPTers ( I´m dutch) and in many other countries is that we no longer us method A or B but we try to work in a functional manner to treat children.

A child with a head control problem will have to learn how to control his-her head in a horizontal plane before you go the a vertical plane. Passively positioning a child wil not teach it anything. You have to try to give the child movement experiences ( say passieve rolling) and stopping after a while, making it interested and playing with planes to fascilitate to move( in this case roll and maybe lift the head a bit ) him-herself. The more information the child recieves ( about movement ) the more chance it will begin to understand and try to move themselves. And we all know that once a child has learnt a movement it will want to repeat it endlessly. So give it that chance too.

good luck to you both
    esther