houston, tx
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

4 herniated cervical discs

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hello. A recent Wikipedia reference-linkMRI revealed that I have 4 heriated discs in my neck. Pretty messed up huh? All degenerative and likely due to years of non-ergo computer work. C4-C5 and C5-C6 are 3 to 4 mm. C3-C4 and C6-C7 are 3 mm. All putting pressure on my spinal cord and a median nerve down my left arm (I'm right handed ironically). Pain, numbness, and frustration are an every day thing. But, my questions are around treatment and recovery. Pain management is great, but (long term) what can I do to reverse the herniation or at least keep it from getting any worse?

1. I'm using a Pronex traction device 2-3 times daily for about 20 minutes each session (more on the weekends). Will extended use of this device reverse the effects of the herniated disc?
    2. Does anything reverse the condition of herniation?
    3. My chrio took an xray of my spine, view as if you were facing me, and it showed an S-curve. Are adjustments the only way to correct that or will it correct with yoga and exercise?

Other things I've tried: chiro - but my ortho tells me not to get adjustments; acupunture- good, temporary; massage - great, temporary; ergo adjustments - good, hope to see long-term improvements.

I'd love to meet with anyone who has this level of DDD and some experience in treatment or surgical options. Please let me know if you are out there.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: 4 herniated cervical discs

I had surgery a ruptured disc (a bone fusion c5/c6 3 yrs ago) & now have another herniated disc just above c4 /c5 area due to the pressure of the 1st bone fusion. The numbness is gone & so has the pain however I have been told that I will need surgery in the future for the new disc rupture. I had a pain management Doctor along with PT & ended up with epidural steriod injections (these help) & have both a TENns unit at work & a mussel stimulator for home use. These have been a Godsend. I have 2 cervical ribs that may be adding to my neck pain. I must say that for the last 6 months I may take pain meds very rarely to sleep & am down to using my TEn's unit maybe once every other month. Please make sure that you retain a nurosurgeon & check out his qualifications. Mine was very good. Ironically I have 2 friends that have had this surgery. One followed the recomendations her drs gave her & is doing great (she had 3 discs fused in her only surgery) some restriction with neck movement. The other friend had 2 discs fused in the 1st operation then had another operation where they re-did a portion and fused an additional dis & still has pain & is currently on Medical leave. Remember there is always help.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    miami
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 4 herniated cervical discs

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi BrokeNeck,

I am sorry to hear about your herniations and hope you are better now. I am recently diagnosed with the same conditon as yours, with 4 herniated discs from C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6 tear on the foramina, C6-C7 (4.3 mm), exhibiting radicular pain on my shoulder blades all the way to my right arm and fingers.

For interventions I have done the following:

1) 2x/week PT
    2) Cervical Facet Injection (first out of 2 series)
    3) Scheduled for Radiofrequency Ablation

Have consulted with a surgeon who told me to try the conservative route first.

I would like to know what is your condition now and which healing route did you choose?

I appreciate your reply with thanks.

Stephanie