Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

ACL Reconstruction - HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi All

I have recently received the unwelcome news that I have done my ACL. That is, it is completely torn. As it turns out I have been getting by without it and even training in martial arts, as it seems my leg has adapted to the non-existence of my aCL. However, I have been advised that there is a high level of risk of injuring my Wikipedia reference-linkmeniscus (I believe 80% for atheletes who do their ACL but don't get a reconstruction end up damaging their meniscus) if I don't get a reconstruction so I have decided to proceed with an ACL reconstruction.

However, at my last consult I don't think I was really made aware of how much time off work I will need. However, before proceeding with the surgery my boss and I do need to know this as we are very busy. Now there are no more consults for months and I have a problem - I don't have a critical piece of information I need to proceed. I thought it was only a couple of days off work, but reading on the web it is much longer than this.

My job is mostly desk bound in front of computer. It does normally take me out of the office from time to time *BUT* I am sure I could get these field tasks delegated to others in my team in light of surgery. Thus, for the purposes of answering this question could someone qualified please advise me how much time off work I should allow for, assuming I am a desk bound office worker (in front of computer)? If it is relevant I believe my hamstrings are to be grafted.

Another question - why does ACL reconstruction need signficant time off work if you are an office worker who would simply be sitting down at a desk? My boss will probably ask if it is possible to work from home (which really I am not keen on as it is difficult to be effective working from home). How long before it would be reasonable for my employer to request that I work from home? Heck, it is theoretically possible to do work on a wireless connected laptop in a hospital bed the day after surgery but clearly this wouldn't be reasonable, just as it is possible (but not reasonable) to do work whilst you have the flu

If anyone could give me some answers to the above questions, it would be appreciated (please let me know your field of expertise as well). I am hoping to get some kind of consensus of answers.

Many thanks in advance...

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: ACL Reconstruction - HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Hi Aussie123, firstly you are correct in that it is advisable to have a reconstruction as you are very likely to damage the Wikipedia reference-linkmeniscus if you don't. That would lead to early onset of degenerative changes to the articular cartilage of the bone and could lead to arthritis/arthrosis a little early than usual.

Thing is you are having an operation, either a general anesthetic or a spinal block. Also perhaps a graft from the hamstring. You'll have a fair amount of pain meds in the system following, knee swelling, a drain (24hrs probably). All in all you'll be feeling groggy for the first few days to a week. You simple won't be there mentally for work within 7 days.

I would think though that if you are super keen you could begin to work on the laptop in the second week. This would be better from home where you have access to keeping the leg up and you'll have a lot of exercises to do to get the leg moving again. Plus regular physio during the week.

I would say the ability to have a total week off, then work from home via the laptop for about 3 further weeks would be best.

The idea of a few days unfortunately isn't realistic. For a meniscal operation and clean-out perhaps but not for a reconstruction. The are drill holes in your bones you know and that takes a good 6 weeks to heal up.

Hope this helps and I am sure others have some comments. Do remember a job is just that. The health of your knees are of life long importance.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi

Thanks for that.

By the sounds of things I would be inclined to ask for a couple of weeks off as I am really not keen (for a couple of reasons) working from home.

However, is it possible to return to a desk based job after two weeks?
    Additional Comment I forgot:
    In addition to my question above, I have two more:

I don't think I will get my surgery done until the new year, so in the interim I was wanting to know:

*I have been practising my martial arts up until now as my knee condition had not been diagnosed. By the sounds of things, if I want to be on the safe side I should stop until it is fixed to ensure I don't do my Wikipedia reference-linkmeniscus? I believe my meniscus, fortunately, is intact.

*I also have been jogging (a linear activity) - this isn't so risky I take it as there is no twisting motion? I have read that linear activities (like cycling) aren't so risky as competitive sports such as football?

Please let me know.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yep cycling and jogging is fine. As for martial arts, well depends on your grad and what you have to do. I would talk to your sensei and ask him/her if you can continue but perhaps just doing kata etcc rather than full sparing. It's hard to pick up the martial arts again at a high level if you have to take a long time off. I know from experience after a head injury and 12 months off. I never got back to the same level with the same passion.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    On the mental side of things I have taken extended time off martial arts, the last time due to a shoulder injury (bursitis) and found my motivation high after coming back, much better than when I was carrying on with an injury. I guess this is an individual thing.

I do tae kwon do and sparring is a major component. Not a high grade but not junior either.

One thing that is playing on my mind the most is the statistic that 80% of people who do their ACL end up doing their Wikipedia reference-linkmeniscus. Based on this it would appear that if I keep training up to surgery there is the inherent risk of doing more damage to my knee? In that case I don't believe I am being overly cautious in stopping the training until it is fixed?