Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

High Riding and tilted patella HELP!!!

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi,
    Please help i have been told that i have a high and tilted patella which is mal-tracking).
    Background.... I dislocated my right knee 7 years ago i put it straight back in and never went to hospital was more or less better in 6 weeks, 2 years after dislocationi could do basically anything i could do before without any problems, (only running would make my knee feel loose.)
    However for the past 2 years i have steadily been getting worse (i use to have a job standing and walking all day) but now and for approx 3 years i work on eBay and sit at a computer basically all the time with litle exercise. Approx 2 years ago i started getting occasional discomfort under/around my kneecap never always in the same place but always somwhere around my knee cap. It has progressively been getting worse and also my knee clicks a lot now when standing after sitting for a while or just straightening my leg in bed it will click (all the time) i fear this is damaging the caritlidge etc. I have a tight ITB band and have for approx 4 months been exercising my legs more than normal but my knee feels worse now than before i started. Is strengthening my quads not going to pull my kneecap higher???? as i am not sure if this is what is happening, also no amount of massage to the ITB seems to do much and 3 days ago my knee felt very unstable and has gone from clicking to "clonking" after sitting with knees bent it now seems to clonk back into place when i straighten. (i now sit with my legs out stretched and do not sit with legs bent unless i have to)
    What i want to know is can this be corrected with more exercise??? I am fed up, feel useless, i can no longer squat of knee without pain under kneecap and at the out side of my knees. I can't ride a bike as every time i pedal my knee will click. I hate being like this, at the mo even walking is "scarey" as just feels unstable.
    Please tell me what i can do to correct this,i never use to be like this even the first 4 years after dislocation was ok. It is since i have started working at a computer.
    Please reply and let me know if this can be corrected without any surgical intervention (too many horror stories)
    Sorry for waffling, hope this all makes sense ( i haven't re-read before posting)
    Thanks Laura x