Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Storm Lake Iowa
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 30, Female, Presenting Problem Since: two years, Symptom Behaviour: getting worse, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: chronic ankle sprainer

Can't Dorsiflex!! Ouch!

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I am a chronic ankle sprainer and now am suffering from a miserable problem! If I am sitting "indian style" and then try to get up, something in my ankle "locks." I am unable to dorsiflex my ankle, it feels like my achilles tendon will rip if I try too hard. The pain is severe and only localized to a small area in my achilles tendon. If I manipulate it long enough then it will sometimes "pop" or release and the pain is gone. It has gotten to the point that I can't even play on the ground with my kids for fear that it will catch and I will not be able to walk again until it releases. I'd love any input if anyone knows what this is or what might help!
    Thanks!!
    Katie

The Physio Detective Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Penshurst, Sydney, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Can't Dorsiflex!! Ouch!

Hi Katie,

It sounds as if you might have a loose body in your ankle/foot - could need a scan...have you seen a doctor about it yet or a Physical Therapist?

I am going to guess (and it is only a guess!) that because you have chronically sprained your ankles, you have some scar tissue or even some osteophystes (little bony scarring bits) that might be getting inside the joint gap when you sit "Indian style" which is, i am guessing, where your ankles tuck under your thighs/knees? Like how kids sit on the floor at school right? That sort of position will open up the outside of your ankle joints and something might slip inside there until you manipulate it enough to come out.

2 years is too long to leave that! A simple XRay or Wikipedia reference-linkMRI would assist if you saw a doctor who agreed with something like i have said after examining you

Of course, it could be other things too...but often the simple reasons are the right ones

[B]Antony Lo
    The Physio Detective
    APA Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
    Teaching Fellow at the University of Western Australia[/B]
    Masters in Manual Therapy (UWA)
    B.App.Sc.(USyd)

[B]Facebook:[/B] [url]www.facebook.com/penshurstphysio[/url]
    [B]LinkedIn:[/B] [url]http://au.linkedin.com/in/antonylo[/url]
    [B]Twitter:[/B] @physiodetective
    [B]Blog: [/B][url]www.physiobob.com/forum/blogs/alophysio/[/url]
    [B]Website:[/B] [url]www.myphysios.com.au[/url]
    The goal of physiotherapy is to restore optimum function - that is to move freely and maintain positions without causing damage either now or in the future. This requires the assessment and restoration of efficient load transfer throughout the whole body.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Can't Dorsiflex!! Ouch!

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I tend to agree with alophysio. Sounds like a loose body or even a subluxation of a tendon like the one of the peroneals. it is common to have a small additional piece of bone on the calcaneous (heal bone) which can fracture off. This is called an os trigonum and is a common issue with ballet dancers. It's removal is quick and simple with a rapid recovery. I agree you should have an investigation perhaps with the foot pointed (even if you can bring on the symptoms and then scan or x-ray). Should that show nothing then this may just be a chronic instability that could benefit from some surgical intervention to prevent the excessive movement. Do let us know how you get on.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter