Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cheltenham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 26, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 5 years, Symptom Behaviour: constant-worse, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): The same throughout, Aggravating Factors:: Any form of running, Easing Factors:: Rest, massage, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: No

Recurring Hamstring Tears/Strains

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi everyone,

I'm a 26 year old male, 5'10" and I play rugby and football (soccer). I've always been a quick sprinter but I've never trained, it just seems to come naturally. About 5 years ago during a sprint in a training drill my right hamstring pulled and seemed to bunch up just below by bum. Ever since then it has been a recurring thing, I can often pre-empt it now and know when to stop but its become a real problem as it severely limits my participation in sports.

About two years ago now I'd been playing football for almost two hours, I got home and was sat in the bath. When I reached forward to turn the top on to top the water up my right hamstring went again and bunched up the same way. I had to call my housemate to lift me out of the bath tub and support me as I hopped into the front room. I raised the leg, strapped it and iced it. As I led on my back I reached for my phone by my side and my left hamstring did the same thing. Since that they have both been the same.

Last week I ran about a mile around a park in three stages stopping to stretch etc. I got home, had a bath, massaged my hamstrings and put deep heat on and the next day they were very painful and tight. I strapped them both and warmed them up slowly and managed to jog about playing touch rugby but they were stiff for 5 days after and very uncomfortable. Last night I played rugby again and after about 30 minutes they both gave the pulling sensation I feel before they go completely so I had to stop training.

I have tried very light weight hamstring curl exercises in the gym but this gave the same sensation. Are there any exercises or stretches I can do? If I stand upright and try to touch my toes my fingertips are perhaps halfway down my shin so I'm very inflexible. I've read that taping them may help but I don't know if I want to wax the backs of my legs to try this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Chris

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Recurring Hamstring Tears/Strains

It sounds like you may have a larger tear in the muscle or musculotendious juction somewhere. I would try to get either a diagnostic ultrasound on the muscle (perhaps dynamically to assess the fibres as you perform a hamstring curl with the weight for the leg only) or an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI. Stretching is not going to assist at this stage. Nor are hamstring curls in the gym. You must consider an investigation at this stage to ascertain what is damaged and the extent of the damage.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cheltenham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you for the response, how would I go about arranging this? Through my GP or a private physio?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Through either actually. Although if you want it on insurance or via the NHS then via the GP would be the best route. If private either can assist and the Physio may know somewhere to get an inexpensive scan done.

Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cheltenham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you so much for your help. I'll make an appointment later in the week. Thanks again

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Please do let us know how you get on following the investigation and the results. Best of luck

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Greece
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I will also would like to add for posture analysis and or lower cross syndrome assessment. More simplistic you may have tight hip flexors and or the pelvis been in anterior tilt. Both are typical presented in sprinters and footballers.