Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 34, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 6 weeks, Symptom Behaviour: constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): night, Aggravating Factors:: sitting, Easing Factors:: movement, Investigations: 6-month old MRI showed no disk issues, x-ray showed short leg (but X-ray could have been faulty), No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Question Physical signs of true (anatomical) Leg Length Inequality (LLI)?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I was wondering what many of you think can be used as signs of a true (anatomical) LLI?

I ask because I've been having a flare-up of SIJ problems on my right side and ever since I was 20 I've noticed that my right leg always feels shorter (I feel as if I'm stepping down into a ditch on that side). I can swing it anteriorly and posteriorly (like a pendulum) while standing on my left leg and my right heel won't touch the ground. However, when I swing my left leg while standing on my right leg, the left heel always touches the ground (and won't even swing farther; i.e.: there's no way my left leg can even complete half of the pendulum swing).

Another (what I think is a) sign that I might have a short right leg is that my wear pattern of my shows differ greatly from right foot to left foot. My right shoe always wears down first and never in the heel. The wear pattern is always up by my metatarsals. I think this may be my body's way of compensating for feeling there's nothing below my right heel - it tilts the front of my foot down so the ball of my foot can "scout around" for the ground).

Another (what I think is a) sign of a short right leg is that my glute muscles on my right side are much, much weaker and not as developed as those on my left.

Now, I know that a functional LLI could present with all these symptoms, but my chiropractors always say my right leg is about half and inch shorter than my left even after they adjust me (before they adjust me it can be up to 1.5 inches shorter!).

Also my doctor did order a LLI X-ray and it came back as my right was 1.4cm shorter than my left. But the problem with that X-ray was that it was done laying down and they shifted the table between x-rays so my body might have shifted on one side, thus causing the discrepancy. I just had the x-ray redone in standing position, and will have those results this week.

I know the common line of thought is that if a true LLI were contributing to your back pain/SIJ pain, you would have had the pain all your life -- not just in your mid-30's, but one chiro did tell me that that is faulty logic. He said that as the decades go on it's more stressful for our body to compensate for small anatomical variations, so a true LLI could begin to cause more pain as we age.

I was just wondering what you guys and gals thought about his reasoning and what sings you would expect to see with a true anatomical LLI on the right side.

Thanks!