Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 73, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 10 days, Investigations: XRay, 3D Scan, No Diabetes, High Blood Pressure: High Blood Pressure since last 20 years, Medications: paracetamol, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Left

Fracture in Proximal Femur Bone, need exercise suggestion for walking

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I am 73 years old male. On Aug 7th, I fell in the bathroom and I got hospitalized for Pertrochanteric fracture (on Proximal Femur Bone) in left leg. Doctor has implanted a Proximal Femoral Nail to fix the fracture on Aug 13th. Since then I am on bed rest, I am able to sit but can't stand on my feet. I am going through physiotherapy treatment as well. I have arthritis in my right leg so I don't have enough strength to put weight on my right leg. Doctor have suggested me to use walker and put strength on my right leg to walk. But since I am having arthritis in my right leg, I am unable to do so. I need a suggestion which exercise I should do to gain strength to stand and walk.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Weipa
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Fracture in Proximal Femur Bone, need exercise suggestion for walking

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the question. Yes these type of injuries combined with pre-existing medical conditions can add to the challenge of commencing yoru mobility again. Ultimately your weight bearing status will be guided by your orthopaedic surgeon. Having said that all the evidence suggests that the quicker you can start moving the better outcomes will be for you. If you are struggling to use a walker because of pain in your right knee, if possible are you able to trial a gutter frame. These are probably better used in a hospital setting, but if you have a house that is quite flat and free of obstacles then this could be an alternative. Another suggestion to start increasing your strength is sit to stand. Try doing this with a raised seat height, i.e placing pillows on the seat. This is a fantastic functional exercise. Another really good one to promote symmetrical gait is the use of a hydrotherapy pool is you have access to. You will need to get clearance first, especially if you have any wound issues that could pose a risk for infection. Anothr really good functional exercise is bridging in bed. You can also use a cycle stand. I used these quite often when I worked in a hospital. All it is is a some pedals on a small stand. You sit on your chair, place your feet in the pedals and start pedalling. Good to increase the strength in your legs and improve your aerobic fitness. I could go on but need to get back to work. Again always speak to your Doctor first before you embark on any new exercises or pool exercises. Hope that helps.