Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 24, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 1 month, Symptom Behaviour: Constant, worsens with prolonged walking, Aggravating Factors:: prolonged walking, Easing Factors:: lots of rest / no prolonged walking, No Investigations, No Diabetes, High Blood Pressure: recent blood pressure checks came up high, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Left

Post What is this hip pain?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all. Will try and keep this brief.

Very recently been having hip issues on my left side, after prolonged walking I get a lot of pain in the hip joint area and the more I walk the worse it gets and the longer it will hurt for, takes some days to recover from it if I over do it. I feel a bit like an old man!

I'm on NHS physic at the mo for my back issues primarily but mentioned this issue last I went (which was like 2 weeks ago, so hard to get appointments) and he basically said stretch my quad, that's about all he had to offer. I fear that most NHS physio's are pretty poor in their knowledge.

Is there some ways I might be able to identify what it is, and work on fixing it?

Back history:
    Back issues (right side), possible disc bulge/herniation which caused extreme sciatica and took a few months of physio to eradicate.
    I have very rubbish functional movement, which I am looking to improve drastically.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other Allied Health Care Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: What is this hip pain?

Hi Joebloom. It sounds like it might be your Iliotibial Band (IT Band). The iliotibial tract is a long band of fibrous tissue that starts at the pelvis and runs down the outside of the thigh and connects to the knee. When this becomes inflamed from overuse you can feel it anywhere from the outside of your knee (lateral side) to you lower thigh to the outside of your hip. If this is the case, I'd say start by doing a good couple days of cold therapy. This will help not only ease the pain, but will get the inflammation down. From there try and focus on anything that will promote circulation to the area (ie. massage therapy, acupuncture, BFST, ultrasound etc. ). Do not use foam rollers and try to rest it as much as possible. I hope this helps

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by ALS388 View Post
    Hi Joebloom. It sounds like it might be your Iliotibial Band (IT Band). The iliotibial tract is a long band of fibrous tissue that starts at the pelvis and runs down the outside of the thigh and connects to the knee. When this becomes inflamed from overuse you can feel it anywhere from the outside of your knee (lateral side) to you lower thigh to the outside of your hip. If this is the case, I'd say start by doing a good couple days of cold therapy. This will help not only ease the pain, but will get the inflammation down. From there try and focus on anything that will promote circulation to the area (ie. massage therapy, acupuncture, BFST, ultrasound etc. ). Do not use foam rollers and try to rest it as much as possible. I hope this helps
    Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify, the pain is very central within the hip joint. As in, the point at which the hip clicks (and mine clicks a lot on this left side), the pain is deep and uncomfortable, rather than outside as you suggest?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Deeper in the hip sounds maybe like your hip flexors or it could even be bursitis. For either, still put a good cold compress on it to get down the inflammation. Maybe get an MRI?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by ALS388 View Post
    Deeper in the hip sounds maybe like your hip flexors or it could even be bursitis. For either, still put a good cold compress on it to get down the inflammation. Maybe get an MRI?
    I had a sort of similar issue but with my right hip not long ago from squatting. The physio at the time said it was rectus fedoras and right hip adductor.

Thanks I'll have to just get myself seen by a good physio, I was on with NHS but they literally said "just stretch your quad" and this affects me daily in pain and having trouble walking! Really basic they are, and thats the polite way I can say it.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Boston
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Sounds like a hip flexor issue, i would check out this article www.fixyourhipflexors.com it goes in depth about hip flexor muscle groups

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Lawrence
    Member Type
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi, Joebloom!

Have you ever had any kind of injury to your back or SI joint area at any point in your life? Any falls, car accidents, herniated discs, sports injuries, or other trauma at all?

If it's a hip flexor, then have some anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your doc. Another way to relieve hip pain is by holding ice to the area for about 15 minutes a few times a day. Try to rest the affected joint as much as possible until you feel better, change your bedding if needed (7 Best Mattresses for Hip Pain Reviewed in Detail (Jun. 2019)). A pillow between the knees while side sleeping may also help to reduce knee and hip pressure and pain as it relieves "sideways pressure" on these joints. Gentle exercising the hip joint with low-impact exercises, stretching, and resistance training can also reduce pain and improve joint mobility. For example, swimming is a good non-impact exercise.
    Call your family doctor if your pain doesn't go away, or if you notice swelling, redness, or warmth around the joint. Also call if you have hip pain at night or when you are resting.