Good morning,

First post for me, I would appreciate any feedback at all. In summary, I am having minimally invasive surgery on my lower back (L5 - S1 I believe) and two screws inserted. I have found a number of papers online (in peer reviewed journals) as the procedure is relatively common in athletes however postoperative information is hard to come by.

Why am I asking the forum and not my surgeon;

• Although the NHS have been good they have been hugely non-committal when I try to discuss recovery.
  • My 'draft' recovery timelines seem at odds with any literature I have read in journals.

Me;

• Active military (injury most likely occurred through multiple poor landings during parachuting)
  • 180cm, 82Kg and physically active - 40 min 10km, 2nd cat cyclist etc.
  • Average flexibility, obviously worse through injury

I understand this is all case by case and best practice will be to assess at set periods post op however this doesn't help me understand potential time off work or return to sport. Something rather than nothing would help;
  • I am booked in for full time rehab 3 weeks post op, judging by any journals I have read this is probably half the time of professional athletes (and I am certainly no pro!)
  • A best and worst (with no complications) set of timelines for return to normal physical activity, running, jumping, rowing etc. Again I am pencilled in to be running 3 weeks post op, in which case it looks like I need the healing power of Wolverine.
  • Will this operation increase the risk of recurring injuries during future employment - The question I was attempting to articulate to the NHS was not; 'can I parachute ever again (a nice controlled landing with blue skies), I am asking whether this injury will increase the likelihood of recurring if I take a poor or hard landing during a military jump' - This is important because if the risk is increased I will have to reassess my job within the military, no commander will sign off on my risk.

Thanks for reading,

Rob