Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 36, Male, Investigations: Ex-rays for former knee pain, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, Medications: wellbutrin, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thoracic Spine

Knee - Posterior - Left

Knee - Posterior - Right

Career change help taking helth into consideration. Too much activity, not enough? please help.

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi folks,

This is my first post Thanks for a great site.

I'm looking at changing from a 100% desk job I've had for he past 12 years, and moving into the trades, specifically plumbing.

I've read where sitting is bad, but have also heard that physical work wears us out. What is the general concensus? I'd like to retire from my next move. I'm 36 and in great shape other than the odd stiff hamstring or knee. No injuries.

Any tips or thoughts? PLEASE send them my way. I have the option to go back to school as well, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ryan

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    West Coast
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Career change help taking helth into consideration. Too much activity, not enough? please help.

Hi Ryan - with a sitting job you might try changing postures significantly every 30min or so. This means go from upright 'proper' posture to slouching to leaning forward to standing (if you have that option). Alternatively sitting on a ball or wobble disc gives you the option of shifting around frequently. Our bodies like to move frequently and avoid static positions. On the other hand you have a trade job where you are on your feet, moving, lifting, etc, all day. Nothing wrong with that as long as you prepare yourself physically for stresses that might be new to your body. I've treated workers with low back pain from digging trenches, shoulder pain from working overhead or reaching into awkward positions etc. If you approach this type of job like a elite sporting event and train your body for the specific tasks required then you should be ok until retirement. Just work smart and build a tolerance for the work and your body will adapt. Good luck!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Career change help taking helth into consideration. Too much activity, not enough? please help.

Thanks a ton for the reply. I appreciate your time. Its good to hear I'm on the right track and there's hope of making it stick. I just finished some physio excersizes and an ice bath to prep for the week. Its definitely changed the way I look at work! Thanks again for the help, its motivating... Ryan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other Allied Health Care Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Ryan. The knees are notorious for having the least amount of blood flow than any other spot in our body. Sitting all day at a desk definitely makes this even less so. I work at a desk job as well and I get stiff knees. I recommend getting up more often and doing a couple minute walk a few times through the day. As for the back...this is also one of my biggest issues. I try to focus on my posture as much as possible and usually put a good cold pack on it after work if I find I was straining and/or hunching a lot. Sometimes the way we sit can cause some slight inflammation to the soft tissue if we are pushing against our regular posture. A girl I work with is looking into buying a brace that will keep her shoulders aligned and back straight. Something like that might be a good idea for you to look into to. I wish you all the very best!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Thanks for the help. I'm glad to have two options. A friend uses an excersize ball as well. I also have some trucker beads (that's what I call them). And may use those if I land back at the desk. So far, with this physical work, I've been tired, and sore, but mobile and flexible. Always goods and bads to everything!