Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Dislocated knee

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

I am a landboard kiter and recently dislocated my knee. I went through eight weeks of physio and was able to carry on kiting for another six months or so. The knee dislocated again. It was simply practicing an air trick and landing on the left knee to stop falling, and the knee gave way. When I straightened the leg it clicked back into place. It's clearly weakened, so I've stopped doing anything that may risk dislocating it again.

I've had an x-ray and awaiting MRI results. The x-ray showed no issues.

I'm keen to get back kiting and snowboarding but need some advice on how to be able to continue and keep the knee in place and stable.

I've been advised to look into the Donjoy Armor FourcePoint and also Ossur cti. Either look good, but I still have a concern about the knee, especially the patella, moving around. Regularly I will straighten the leg and the knee clicks, so something is moving to then click back into place.

Along with the knee brace I'd like some kind of strap that holds all parts of the knee in place where they should be.

Has as anyone any thoughts to this? If I am kiting and the left leg is inadvertently put out to stop a fall to the ground it will most likely pop out again, so whatever solution is used needs to keep the knee together.

Thanks!

Chris

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Uk
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Dislocated knee

Any advice anyone?

Thanks

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Chris,

For the type of loads that will be placed on your knee during landing etc. it is really important to have adequate strength in the Gluteals, Hamstrings and Quads. If you haven't already, I would get some to assess your movement and put together a really focussed strength program to improve strength in these areas. A Sport Rehabilitator / Sports Physio / Strength and Conditioning coach should be able to help you with this.

You will need to start with some straight-line control / stability exercises and then progress to more dynamic multi-directional work in order to prepare you for the stress of snowboarding / kiting.

The braces can sometimes be helpful as an aid, but there is nothing better than getting your body strong!

Hope this helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Uk
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    That's great advice. Thanks.

My sports physio gave me lots of exercises to do in fact. Leg extension cable machine with lots of sets, lots of reps. Sit down, foot on floor, knee resting on something so arched and then straighten the leg and tense the quads. Same exercise but leg starts flat and leg tensed and raised about 30 cms off the floor. Also, latter exercise but spell the alphabet whilst leg in the air. I also use the balancing semi ball i stand on with one foot to work on balance. I also use the rowing machine to keep the knee flexible.

Anything else that may be of use?

Chris