Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Belfast
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 32, Male, Presenting Problem Since: Around 13 months, Symptom Behaviour: Worse, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Hard to find a comfortable sleeping position., Aggravating Factors:: Stressful situations - work / Excited situations, Easing Factors:: Sitting up straight and pushing head back, tilting and rotating my head, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, Bowel & Bladder: Indigestion, urinating before bed and about 30 mins after getting into bed sometimes, Other Info: Suffer from anxiety

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Head, Neck - Posterior

Unexplained neck pain

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

I'm new to the site and this is my first post however. Please forgive me if I ramble on but I'll very much appreciate any help or advice offered.
    I'll start with a bit of my background. I'm a 32yo male and I had my first panic attack almost 3 years ago due to a combination of work stress and huge life events, moved house twice, got engaged and got into a lot of debt. Ever since then I've had all the common symptoms - stomach problems, constant chest pains, tension headaches, fear of situations out of my comfort zone, pains and sensations all over my body as if the anxiety is working through one limb or organ at a time. Before my first panic attack I hadn't seen a doctor in 10 years, in the 3 years since I've been to my GP around 6-7 times. I got prescribed omeprazole which I stopped taking because of side effects. I did a lot of reading and slowly learned how to deal with my symptoms, identified triggers and in the last year have made massive improvements in tackling this beast. My last visit to my GP was last summer and he basically told me I'm a hypochondriac and embarrassed me and made me feel very stupid. Since then I vowed to help myself and convinced myself that I was a hypochondriac.
    Although I'm about a stone overweight and was a heavy smoker, I've always been physically active, playing soccer, squash and doing some weights/circuits etc. at home. I have stopped smoking and I am watching what I eat and trying to get back to a reasonable weight.
    Anyway, to my current problem which has been going on for just over a year now. I have seen some of my symptoms linked to anxiety/stress and bad posture, but not my EXACT symptoms so I'm here to see if anyone can relate.
    On and off for the last year I have had a pain in the side of my neck, sometimes a dull ache, sometimes quite sharp but I seem to be almost always aware of it. The pain feels like it's near my throat, behind the muscle where the carotid artery is. Sometimes it feels like the artery is throbbing. The pain comes when I sit leaning to the right slightly as a dull pain, which leads me to believe it's muscular however the worrying times are when the pain comes on all of a sudden when I'm in a stressful or excited state. It appears instantly and feels like something is pinching my neck, underneath the muscle. After a few seconds the pain will travel to behind my left eye and feel like pressure/pain pushing out. It will also travel to the top of my head, slightly left side. Once I regain composure and the situation normalises, I get very fatigued and can barely talk to anyone for a couple of hours until the fatigue goes away. I also get a very strange feeling like a shudder at the back of my neck during stressful situations.

I work in an office and have very bad posture, slouched over and leaning my head forward. One thing to add is that when I sit up straight and pull my head and neck back into a straight line my neck pain goes away a little.

Again, apologies for my ramble, thanks for your time and any help will be much appreciated!