Flag of Belgium
    Current Location
    onasi
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Male, Presenting Problem Since: 3 years, Symptom Behaviour: constant / a bit worse after going to the gym for a short period, Diabetic: type 1, Medications: insulin

Which posture problem should you fix first?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Basically after doing a lot of research, it seems I have all sorts of postural problems. Anterior Pelvic Tilt, Kyphosis / Rounded back, rounded shoulders, forward head posture, internally rotated femurs, etc..

My question is, which part should I try and fix first and will this lead to the other problems being naturally fixed?

Also, for example for anterior pelvic tilt, if my hip flexors are too tight, if i stretch them but then go sit for a few hours after that as i normally do every day, is the stretching doing anything or is the sitting just ruining the benefits of stretching?
    Also, if my chest and lats are too tight which are causing the rounded back and shoulders, should I stop training chest and lats at the gym as this will make them tighter and make the problem worse? or is it ok to continue to train them as long as im stretching every day?

Also, Is posture hard to fix in general? or can it DEFINITELY be done? im still young, 20 years old, just wondering if i be committed for a good time to fixing my posture, is it something that is easy to fix through stretching and strengthening? or is it hard to fix as it involves constant awareness of postural habits?? I dont want to put in a lot of effort and then find that ive wasted my time. Also how long roughly does poor posture take to fix around? is it something long term like 4 months + or even longer, or is it something that can be fixed within 1 month with enough commitment?

My posture makes me feel bad when I look in the mirror and it is really affecting my confidence and I hope i can fix it as soon as possible.

Any advice would be welcome with regards to the above questions

Thankyou so much

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Nations
    Current Location
    Seattle
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Which posture problem should you fix first?

Quote Originally Posted by kerolavecshi View Post
    Basically after doing a lot of research, it seems I have all sorts of postural problems. Anterior Pelvic Tilt, Kyphosis / Rounded back, rounded shoulders, forward head posture, internally rotated femurs, etc..

My question is, which part should I try and fix first and will this lead to the other problems being naturally fixed?

Also, for example for anterior pelvic tilt, if my hip flexors are too tight, if i stretch them but then go sit for a few hours after that as i normally do every day, is the stretching doing anything or is the sitting just ruining the benefits of stretching?
    Also, if my chest and lats are too tight which are causing the rounded back and shoulders, should I stop training chest and lats at the gym as this will make them tighter and make the problem worse? or is it ok to continue to train them as long as im stretching every day?

Also, Is posture hard to fix in general? or can it DEFINITELY be done? im still young, 20 years old, just wondering if i be committed for a good time to fixing my posture, is it something that is easy to fix through stretching and strengthening? or is it hard to fix as it involves constant awareness of postural habits?? I dont want to put in a lot of effort and then find that ive wasted my time. Also how long roughly does poor posture take to fix around? is it something long term like 4 months + or even longer, or is it something that can be fixed within 1 month with enough commitment?

My posture makes me feel bad when I look in the mirror and it is really affecting my confidence and I hope i can fix it as soon as possible.

Any advice would be welcome with regards to the above questions

Thankyou so much
    Hi, i have all the same posture problems... How did you get help?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Which posture problem should you fix first?

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    You need spinal mobility first. To achieve that, and more importantly maintain that, you need an exercise regiment that stimulates spinal movement and strengthens the support structures that should be working during that movement. So this means passive stretching is not of much use. I would recommend activities like yoga, gyrotonics (very good), studio (equipment based) pilates. Once you have the movement available activities like swimming, tennis and other rotational activities can all help.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter