Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Cambridge
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 29, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 5-6 weeks, Symptom Behaviour: Constants, Investigations: Xray - suspected avulsion fracture. MRI - confirmed avulsion (ACL intact), No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Posterior - Right

Knee - Anterior - Right

Avulsion fracture to Medial Tibial Spine

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

Background:

I am a 29 y.o male and approximately 6 weeks ago while training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I heard a pop in my right knee and a pang of pain.

I went to the hospital and within a couple of days I was diagnosed with a suspected avulsion fracture to my medial tibial spine. They fitted me with a range of motion knee brace which was limited to 0-90 degree range of motion.

Approximately 4 weeks after the injury I had an MRI and the doc said his suspicions were confirmed that there is an avulsion fracture but the ACL isnt ruptured. He said since its not significantly displaced the bone should heal on its own and recommended I remove the brace (to be removed on Monday - 6 weeks after initial injury) and start physio on the knee. I am to go back to the hospital in May for a follow up and x-ray.

I have received a letter stating I have been referred to a physio but haven't heard anything directly from the physio.

Current situation:

I have lost a lot of muscle in my right quad and it's hard to engage/tense my right quad.

When sitting down I am able to fully extend my leg if I add a little extra force with my hands

The knee is still swollen.

I have developed swelling around my ankle (probably from a tight brace)

My question:

- I have read that a type 1 avulsion fracture is treated by a 6 week long leg cast before starting physio. I have been in a 0-90 knee brace for approximately 6 weeks. Has moving my leg inhibited the avulsed bone's ability to heal? If so, should I fix the brace in full extension and wear it for longer?

- are there some basic exercises I can do to keep motion, connection and strength in the knee while I wait to hear from physio?

- the doc said I can remove the brace on the coming Monday, should I wait until I have seen the physio or get a second opinion before doing so? I am worried that I will cause further damage.

Thank you for reading.

Lucror