Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 27, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 2 years, Symptom Behaviour: constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): same, Aggravating Factors:: sit ups, abdominal side bend to the left, Easing Factors:: sitting, Investigations: Alignment is off, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Lumbar, Spine - Posterior

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Left

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Right

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Left

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Right

Lower back pain and Hip alignment off

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hey everyone,

I am 27 years old and have started noticing lower back pain in the 2 last years. Started noticing the main when I started doing abdominal exercises at the gym.

Recently (December 2018) I started to go to a chiropractor and was provided with the below images from an x-ray. Noticed that even though the pain has decreased a bit, I don't feel much correction in my hip area.

When I walk my leg tends to limp slightly due to the imbalance and when if I do any leg workouts (Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, etc) I can notice the difference between the strength and height of my legs. I currently do the following exercises recommended by the Chiro, which are deadbug, glute bridges, and stir the pot. I was told that doing this for long-term will help with the recovery.

I want to get a second opinion of a physio and see if I am steering toward the correct path or if I should make additional changes in my lifestyle that would help resolve this. Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Lower back pain and Hip alignment off

There's a not a single person in the world whose alignment will not be "off". I'm not a fan of doctors using Xray to diagnose or explain something. In my opinion, they should only be used to rule in/out a fracture.

In your case, the ab exercises you have been doing might have aggravated your back. What exercises were you doing specifically, and what were you trying to achieve with them?

I would look at your posture from ground up, to look for imbalances that could affect your hip and leg length. For example, an ankle injury could affect your foot posture and cause a functional leg length discrepancy.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by toronto_physio View Post
    There's a not a single person in the world whose alignment will not be "off". I'm not a fan of doctors using Xray to diagnose or explain something. In my opinion, they should only be used to rule in/out a fracture.

In your case, the ab exercises you have been doing might have aggravated your back. What exercises were you doing specifically, and what were you trying to achieve with them?

I would look at your posture from ground up, to look for imbalances that could affect your hip and leg length. For example, an ankle injury could affect your foot posture and cause a functional leg length discrepancy.
    From what I recall it got aggravated when I tried doing decline ab crunches. Used to do planks and leg raises and didn’t have any issues doing those exercises. I have also done deadlifts in the past, which may have also affected the issue but I always stretched for 30 mins and used a belt. The only thing I was trying to achieve was a stronger core as I do different workouts throughout the week

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I've a pretty good feeling that a declined ab crunch did it. It can make you a better ab cruncher but not improve core stability, if that's what you're going after. The exercises your chiro suggested are good. If you are training for a sport, you'll want to do even more specific exercises.

Also, before doing a deadlift, you should never stretch the back or the hamstrings, but rather do a set of light deadlifts before ramping up.