Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Plymouth
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 34, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 3 years, Symptom Behaviour: Remaining constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Varies, Aggravating Factors:: Running, and when putting on certain pairs of trousers/shorts, Easing Factors:: Slightly better after having a bath, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thigh, Quadriceps - Anterior - Left

Thigh, Quadriceps - Anterior - Right

Possible Meralgia Paresthetica?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi there

I'm based in the UK and used to do long-distance running regularly, usually between 7-10 mile runs twice a week and would enter 10k and half marathons regularly.

But in September 2017, I had physio work done after my right quad muscle felt bad. After the physio session I felt a burning sensation which wouldn't go away. Thinking the sports massage may have gone in too deep. Ever since I haven't been the same.

Since then I've seen three different physios in the space of two and a half years:

• The first done reckoned it was deep scar tissue, and did a couple of sessions with me involving Extracororeal shockwave therapy, and voodoo compression. And told me to do couch stretches which I found aggravated my quads further.
    • The second physio I went to did a couple of sports massages and reckoned it was Meralgia Paresthetica so I did some sessions of stretches to try and floss the nerve out which were ineffective.
    • And the third physio who I saw in the summer last year reckoned it was lumpy scar tissue so he did a few sessions of sports massage for that. The thing was I was gradually getting there as I was running and he told me to use a smooth foam roller afterwards, but I got taken to hospital for a stomach operation (which is unrelated) so I didn't run until earlier this year.

So in May this year, I went back into running and done small lap running next to my street. So my first week I'd run two laps and go gradual from there if I felt better, until a couple of weeks ago I would run 6 laps (equivalent to 2 miles).

I still get this problem especially after I run where my quads (mainly my right one, but also my left at minimal times) would ache and produce a burning sensation. And they ache loads whenever I try on slim-fit jeans or chinos, and sometimes even regular fit ones. And I seem most comfortable wearing soft feel or jersey shorts.

I would love to get back into long-distance running again (I know that won't be for a long time) but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer. And with restrictions happening with Covid-19 and physios, I'm just wondering what my best solution is going forward. Would anyone be able to help me with this issue please?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Possible Meralgia Paresthetica?

Hi Wavyglandbles,

From what you wrote, I believe that a new physio visit is needed, with particular attention on physical examination. Symptoms behaviour during examination are key to better understand your case. Burning sensation would indicate nervous structures involvement and as you have been suffering from this situation for a long time, I think that investigations (ultrasound scan/electromiography/electroneurography) may come handy in order to rule out/in conditions.
    This is only a personal advice over the internet, clinical examination is key.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Plymouth
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you for getting back to me Guiydo. I would like to ring up my GP and see if I can arrange a nerve test or something like you suggested. It's actually something I haven't looked it, and I hope to arrange it when it's safe to do so with the whole Covid situation.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by wavyglanbles View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me Guiydo. I would like to ring up my GP and see if I can arrange a nerve test or something like you suggested. It's actually something I haven't looked it, and I hope to arrange it when it's safe to do so with the whole Covid situation.
    Hi,
    That's sounds good. Let us know how the situation goes on, hoping the Covid situation ends as soon as possible.
    Regards

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Plymouth
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

After all this time, I finally saw a new physio about my ongoing quad pain.

I finished my third session with him (once a week), and even though he did a lot of tests (with my back and hips) and done light massages and acupuncture for particular trigger points in the right quad; I'm not sure it's doing the trick. Don't get me wrong, this guy seems to know what he's talking about and has been very helpful and friendly. He said to me that if things don't improve, he'll be happy to write to my GP to see about getting me a scan to see if it's anything to do with my hip or quad (might be to do with the femoral nerve, I think it's that), it does sound like something that scares me a bit. I'm seeing the physio again 2 weeks time for my 4th appointment.

After my third session (Thursday), the massage would give me a usual burning sensation which made it difficult for my manual job the next day (I overcame it though), and as it was gradually better after a couple of baths by Sunday, I ran 3 miles (was building up gradually okay from 1 mile over the past 6 months) and the burning sensation comes back. By the way, when I go out running, the running itself pretty good and I generally run an average pace of 8:30-9 minutes, but it's the burning sensation and eventual DOMS that is frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this situation please.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Plymouth
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Small update to my ongoing quad pain. After 5 sessions with the physio and him eliminating different causes, he's now written a letter to my GP to arrange further investigation into my problem. He thinks it's possibly Meralgia Paraesthetica but just waiting for a call from my doctor now, may be a couple of weeks.