Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 50, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 3 years, Symptom Behaviour: constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): during the day especially if sitting, Aggravating Factors:: bending forward, Easing Factors:: leaning back and pushing chest upwards, Investigations: neck x-ray, ultrasound and mri to abdomen, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: no

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thoracic Spine

Shoulder - Posterior - Right

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Right

Referred pain to right groin area that is relieved by pressure to lower right posterior ribs

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    About three years ago I was doing a lot of gym, abs, cycling and running when I started getting a pain in my lower right abdomen and groin area. After lots of examinations doctors found nothing wrong with this area. However, a physio has told me that it may be due to a tear in the QL and used ultrasound and prescribed cool pads to be applied a few times throughout the day. This did not seem to help at all so I thought I would do some online research.

I have found that the pain is relieved by any pressure to the posterior lower right ribs - near the outside of the chest - not near the spine. As the pain goes so it is replaced by an ache in the same area - maybe rib 8. It feels like the ribs can move a bit in a grinding way on that side. Any ideas what it could be and what stretches I can do?

I am trying to stretch out the hip flexors, QL and lats. Back exercises seem to help such as superman. It does look like my left hip is a bit higher than my right.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Regina
    Member Type
    Dr or General Practitioner (GP)
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Referred pain to right groin area that is relieved by pressure to lower right posterior ribs

Sounds like you have a slipping rib at T8. If pressing it in helps then a rib belt of sorts could work. Trying cortisone or alcohol injections to area might help though the latest thing is botulinum:
    Botulinum Toxin Treatment for Slipping Rib Syndrome: A Case... : The Clinical Journal of Pain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mmwr715 For This Useful Post:

Referred pain to right groin area that is relieved by pressure to lower right posterior ribs

jcochr (13-04-2021)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Referred pain to right groin area that is relieved by pressure to lower right posterior ribs

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Quote Originally Posted by mmwr715 View Post
    Sounds like you have a slipping rib at T8. If pressing it in helps then a rib belt of sorts could work. Trying cortisone or alcohol injections to area might help though the latest thing is botulinum:
    Botulinum Toxin Treatment for Slipping Rib Syndrome: A Case... : The Clinical Journal of Pain
    Thanks very much. Yes, I did find that simply tying my belt around that area of my chest worked pretty well but I was thinking that wasn't a good idea long term. I tried it whilst running and it was ok as long as it was gentle running. I have also found that sticking my chest upwards with the shoulders back helps a bit and hanging from a door frame (!). That is trying to improve posture. I also am reducing the time I spend holding things in my right hand (i.e. phone and mouse) and keeping that shoulder back. All help a bit. Hopefully, it will soon be possible to actually see a doctor/physio safely again and then I will relay all these symptoms and possible cause. The rib seems to connect to the spine and cause the vertebrae to squeeze the nerves that exit there. I was hit by a car on that side when much younger and it cracked some ribs. Perhaps it is something that happens more as you get older and the distance between vertebrae gets smaller.