8.5 weeks ago I injured my knee while climbing. I was in a static position with my knee fully bent, and it popped, and felt immediately numb. MRI showed a very small part of the medial meniscus had broken off and a bone edema in the medial femoral condyle. I was missing around 20 degrees of extension, and 45 of flexion.
From the beginning I could walk with a bent knee without pain, and used a crutch for long distances, but tried to walk as little as possible. After around 4 weeks I started walking normally, which initially hurt in the posterior of the knee, which the physio claimed was because of a tight popliteus. With more walking and stretching it quickly got better, and I gained full extension, but painful, and around 20 degrees of flexion, although the pain had now transitioned to the posterolateral area of the knee, mostly below or at the crease. The pain seems to be caused by one or more muscles/tendons, since when the physio massages that area, even upper lateral calf, the rom when bending instantly becomes better. It stayed that way for 2.5 weeks, even though I was trying to variate the volume of the rehab exercises, it didn't respond.
This week I have introduced backward elliptical training, focusing on fully extending the knee at the back, which is helping. Currently, when I stand/walk for a while, there is no pain when extending the knee, but after standing for some time, if I actively bend it as if I was doing a hamstring curl, it hurts, kind of like a burn, and quickly subsides after around 5-10 reps. Similarly, if I sit for a while, the first steps/extensions of the knee also hurt/burn, which takes a little bit more to get better. It also hurts when trying to point the patella outwards while standing.
I find it weird that all my problems are on the lateral side of the knee, even though all injured tissues were on the medial side. Has anyone experienced/seen a similar kind of pain and could help me figure out what exactly might be causing it? Thank you very much in advance!