Country
    Flag of Netherlands
    Current Location
    Amsterdam
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Lightbulb Masters/Education in Psychosomatic physiotherapy and Osteopathic manual therapy

Dear ones!

I am about to finish my physiotherapy bachelor study (hooray)!
    As to continuing, I wanna go in the direction of mind and body more than anything else. So, there are two paths I'd heard of:
    The "soft" manual therapy (in contract to the rather strictly biomechanical view) and psychosomatic physiotherapy.

I have been doing research on available educations, and have not found "the" thing. Maybe there is someone here from the field? I would like to work in hospitals for psychosomatic medicine.

What I found were the university of bergen developing amaster in psychosomatc physiotherapy, the college of utrecht doing a master in psychosomatic physiotherapy, as well as in australia the university of perth doing a master in osteopathic manual therapy.

Anyone some ideas on the topic?

THANKS!
    Kai

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    New York City, USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Masters/Education in Psychosomatic physiotherapy and Osteopathic manual therapy

Hi Kai,

Have you considered studying eastern approaches like yoga, tai chi or qigong? How about western somatic disciplines like feldenkrais, alexander or middendorf? I find all of these inherently applicable to my work at a physiotherapist. Once you have a strong foundation in orthodox physiotherapy, I think it is possible to pull "jewels" from other disciplines and use them in your work.

There is a well regarded "soft" osteopathic program in Montreal. Are you aware of it? If not, I can dig up details.

warm regards,
    bill

Director, East West Rehabilitation Institute

Master Clinician in Integrative Rehabilitation, Mount Sinai Medical Center

Instructor in Clinical Physical Therapy, Columbia University

[email protected]
    http://www.eastwestrehab.org

http://www.eastwestrehab.com

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Netherlands
    Current Location
    Amsterdam
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Masters/Education in Psychosomatic physiotherapy and Osteopathic manual therapy

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your mail. Indeed, the osteopathic program could have been a thrilling alternative.

After fracturing my os triquetrum and rupturing the discus triangularis of my right wrist, my path has led me to a medicine study (which I am happy about, and the wrist is getting better). However, psychosomatics remain the field of interest.

I have been studying qi gong for quite some time, however I have become more and more sceptical about eastern approaches, since my psyche seems at time not to really get a grasp on what they actually are about.

My favourite at the moment is the teachings of Jon Kabat Zinn, it appears to be the most complete meditation setup that I know so far. Anyways, I connect really good with it.

I will have a look into the sinai medical center!

Greetings,
    K

Have you considered studying eastern approaches like yoga, tai chi or qigong? How about western somatic disciplines like feldenkrais, alexander or middendorf? I find all of these inherently applicable to my work at a physiotherapist. Once you have a strong foundation in orthodox physiotherapy, I think it is possible to pull "jewels" from other disciplines and use them in your work.

There is a well regarded "soft" osteopathic program in Montreal. Are you aware of it? If not, I can dig up details.

warm regards,
    bill

Director, East West Rehabilitation Institute

Master Clinician in Integrative Rehabilitation, Mount Sinai Medical Center

Instructor in Clinical Physical Therapy, Columbia University

[email protected]
    http://www.eastwestrehab.org

http://www.eastwestrehab.com[/QUOTE]