Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Lightbulb Plantar Fasciitis - Practitioner and Patient Advice

Wikipedia reference-linkPlantar fasciitis is an extremely commonly encountered condition estimated to account for 5 to 14% of running injuries in the US (1). It must be remembered that there are multiple pathologies which could mimic true plantar fasciitis, and these will be discussed in the article. As a condition it affects both young and old, sporting and non-sporting populations and is not gender specific (2). Controversy surrounds suggested aetiological factors and treatment (3,4). Differential diagnosis and histological findings will also be discussed, in conjunction with a summary of the literature to date. Key examination factors will be highlighted and treatment suggestions made. Finally additional components of treatment will be noted and contextualised.

This article has been brought to you by Sportex-Medicine - the official magazine of the Physiobase community.

Similar Threads:
    Plantar Fasciitis - Practitioner and Patient Advice Attached Files
    Last edited by physiobob; 05-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - Practitioner and Patient Advice

Hi there,

Does anyone have any input on this product? I had a client come in today that was told by her MD that this brace is what she required. I'm not convinced. Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart...ort-10102.aspx

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - Practitioner and Patient Advice

Hi Goldrush

It looks like the brace is based on the principle of applying a counter-pressure to reduce pressure on the muscle/tendon origin. Probably most commonly seen in people who have been diagnosed with Wikipedia reference-linktennis elbow. There's actually a taping technique that I use that applies this principle for people with Wikipedia reference-linkplantar fasciitis and my patients usually report some relief.

I would think this brace would be helpful along with a physio treatment plan aimed at reducing the cause of the problem.