Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Exclamation BUPA Registered Physio's with <5 yrs Experience

Hi there guys,

We would like to know if you are or know of any BUPA Registered Physio's with <5 yrs experience? This is likely to be people who work for a BUPA hospital in the UK.

We hear this is common practice within BUPA, yet they won't permit anyone with less than 5 yrs register with any other company or by themselves. In short this is a restriction of trade practice. We don't have any hard evidence on who they might be and whether this does go on so please help. This is an anonymous forum so we won't know who you are so please give us some indication if you know this is going on.

Additionally by saying you must be more than >5 yrs since graduation (irrespective of experience or work history) they are in fact saying we will not register anyone under 26yrs of age. I figure 18 plus 3 for the degree plus 5 takes you to about that age.

Without putting an age on it, the effect for many newer graduates is the same. This is against EU law. I have tried to get the CSP and Physio First to take up this case but it continues to fall on deaf ears. Let's make a stance online as this forum is widely referenced and the search engines love it.

Power to the UK Physios!

Similar Threads:
    Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

amacs

Re: BUPA Registered Physio's with <5 yrs Experience

An interesting and potentially inflammatory question. I have heard rumours of less than five years being accepted but only in circumstances where other factors could be braought to bear e.g. level of qualification. Important not to forget that registration is not employment. Be interesting to see where this goes.

ANdy

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by amacs View Post
    An interesting and potentially inflammatory question. I have heard rumours of less than five years being accepted but only in circumstances where other factors could be brought to bear e.g. level of qualification. Important not to forget that registration is not employment. Be interesting to see where this goes.

ANdy
    Indeed, I have discussed the policy with BUPA in terms of experience and they say that there is no experience consideration. It is 5 yrs and that is that. I had a guy with 4 yrs experience, also a sports science degree first and a diploma in therapeutic and remedial massage but they said NO. He's still not 5 yrs post physio graduation.

I said what about the traveling physio whose graduated, been on various working holidays doing locums, has never worked in outpatients and it 6 yrs qualified. They again said if there 5yrs then they are 5 yrs! We know it has nothing to do with experience and all to do will culling the physio's numbers from their lists. As a group we should be looking for as much evidence as possible.

I had heard that they use 2 yr out grads (although it says all their pt's are more than 5 yrs qualified on their website) as long as they are under more experienced supervision. Can someone substantiate this?

Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Brighton
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey guys i'm have recently finished an MSc physio pre-reg and have been successfull in a job interview but didnt get the job as BUPA and AXA would only accept Physio's with 5 years experience i'm feeling as frustrated as you guys and am woundering if there have been any recent changes or updates since your last messages?

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Nope, nothing's changed. If anything we are already seeing more group activities in relation to BUPA contracts. Can't understand why the health bodies in this country can't look abroad to when this happened in other countries (e.g. Canada), how disastrous it was for the patients and why it was broken up again a few years later. Seems people just move continents when the going gets tough and try to make money of another population before they work it all out. Sorry for my cryptic comment

Follow Me on Twitter