Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Insurance Drives Physical Therapists out of Business

Insurance Drives Physical Therapists out of Business

New York, NY (PRWEB) April 26, 2009 -- HIP/EMBLEM insurance announced to its Physical Therapy participating providers a 20% reduction in reimbursement rates to be in effect May 1, 2009. Physical Therapists who do not agree with the reduction have the choice to leave the provider panel. Dr. Kostopoulos, spokesperson for Hands-On and Physiocare suggested that: "It appears that such a decrease in reimbursement serves to offset HIP's deficit for the new salaries to its officers". The New York Sun on 4/22/2008 reported that: "...Anthony Watchon president of HIP doubled his salary to $4.79 million". The same paper reported that $4.79 million is enough to provide healthcare for 12 months to nearly 1,400 people at $3,500 each. The newspaper stated: "This is just a foretaste of what will happen if the state allows it to convert to for-profit corporation"..

Click on the link (originally posted by MrManipulator) to read the full article

Similar Threads:
    Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Potters Bar
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Insurance Drives Physical Therapists out of Business

I think we have to make a stand and refuse to accept these conditions. People will soon stop renewing their insurance if they find that many clinics don't accept it. That will get the clinic where it hurts by people choosing another company. Either we refuse to treat their clients or we charge the client top up fees and explain that their insurance doesn't actually cover what it says it does!

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Insurance Drives Physical Therapists out of Business

Either we refuse to treat their clients or we charge the client top up fees and explain that their insurance doesn't actually cover what it says it does!
    I have to agree, both are issues with BUPA. I don't actually have an issue with PMIs capping their fees with their customers but it is a deal between the PMI and the customer. BUPA does not permit physiotherapists on their network to charge gap fees. It is one of the things you have to agree to. It is outrageous as the customer should decide if they want to pay a gap fee or go elsewhere and so the customer and the service providers work towards a market that is sustainable to both.

When I decided to end my practices contract with BUPA I proudly showed on my website the wording. 'We do not accept BUPA insurance at this clinic' rather than a we are not BUPA registered as that sounds like in some way you are not qualified for something. I think everyone who is not in a BUPA contract should show something like 'We do not accept BUPA insurance at this clinic' as a note to the public. Might interest them as to why.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter