Current Location
    West Midlands
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

NQ Physio starting out at a club

Hi all,

I am a newly qualified physio and as you can probably guess, the job situation is awful! So I thought to help my CV and improve my experience, I would emailed a few local sports clubs to see if they are looking for any physio involvement.

I dont really have much pitch-side experience. I have treated loads of ankle sprains, gastroc strains, collateral lig injuries, TA repairs etc in outpatients as a student, but no physio experience for a sports club.

I have one club interested and they are quite a large rugby club consisting of 1st, 2nd, colt and junior level teams. At the mo, they dont have a physio but I am wondering the best way to go about this on my own! I dont want to commit and find it is too much for me with such little experience and expertise.

Do I need to have a sports first aid qualification? How is the best way to go about record keeping for players? Also, one of the most awkward issues, how do I discuss potential payment without sounding too rude! I have been told that as I am qualified I shouldn't do it for nothing!

Also I have heard that, especially for females, the sports environment can be quite intimidating. How is the best way to deal with this?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Angola
    Current Location
    right here
    Member Type
    Chiropractor
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: NQ Physio starting out at a club

You should be confident in yourself and your training, and not be afraid to go for it. The worst that could happen is that it don't work out, but even then, you should get some valuable experience in the process. If you learn from your failures, they can be considered successes, so don't be afraid to fail. As far as I know, it is not necessary to have a specific sports first aid qualification, but there are lots of programs that offer additional training in this area. It may help you out to seek additional training in this field to help you become more confident with yourself.

Regards,
    Cindy
    shower chair

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds, Uk
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

yep. revise everything that bog standardly happens in sport (ankle inversions, muscle strains etc), plus your kiddie pathologies (severs disease and the like). Learn how to tape as a matter of urgency. Shoulders, knees, ankles and hands. In terms of a first aid qualification i would assume the RFU have something similar to the FA set-up, a basic first aid/cpr qualification that you should probably do to cover your back. Definitely dont do it for nothing, just ask politely and behind closed doors, explain that you cant give a commitment without some money being involved. Dont expect the earth though, i get 100 a week but from talking to other physios in our league im apparently one of the lucky ones.

Notes - However you like. I have a whiteboard with the 1st team players names, dates of injuries, playing/training status, then i scribble something really basic if i feel i need to jog my memory, but generally i dont bother. If you're the only physio nobodies coming round to check your notes, nobodies going to be treating your patients but you so its pretty unnecessary as far as i can see

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Essex
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    Hi

I am currently working in sport and have been with a successful Rugby Union team. I would definatly advise getting yourself on a sports first aid course and make sure you can tape, as Ophqui has suggested. The RFU, like the FA, do have their own specific first aid course wich includes spinal care, log rolls etc, which some standard courses do not cover. Other than that your undergrad training will give you a good foundation, enjoy and learn along the way.

I guess on match days in the changing rooms at first it may be intimidating but trust me the players will treat you just the same as anyone else and you won't feel out of place.

Best of Luck