Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Lightbulb Manual Therapy following ACL reconstruction

Hi PT's

Just wanted to hear some of your brief opinions regarding the value of manual therapy following ACL reconstruction surgery (arthroscopic). I deal with many post-op ACL patients in my clinic and I'm constantly challenging myself as to the efficacy of massage and passive mobs (other than CPM) post-op.

As far as I see it, in the initial weeks following surgery friction massage is great to reduce scarring/adhesions, and massage can be used to reduce swelling, but as the rehab progresses past the first (let's say) 3 weeks, I'm not so sure what the patient gains from their half an hour on the bed. Would it not be better to simply focus on exercise therapy (strength, flexibility, proprio etc, depending on the surgeons protocol) and forego the manual therapy after a few weeks?? (my current ACL patients have about 30min manual therapy, then about 2 hours of exercises, and electro etc etc).

Happy for any thoughts you have on the matter!

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Manual Therapy following ACL reconstruction

Hi,

In my opinion, continuing some form of manual therapy is useful to keep track of soft tissue restrictions while re-introducing exercise. Now I don't mean this in a sense of 30mins massage prior to a rehab session, more a quick Ax before exercise based rehab. In my experience, trigger point therapy etc. is something that is maintained throughout the rehabilitation process. It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the hands-on work?

I would agree that a run-of-the-mill massage may have some limitations once the swelling and mobility has improved.

Would be interested to hear some other thoughts too.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ajman
    Current Location
    astraen
    Member Type
    Chiropractor
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Manual Therapy following ACL reconstruction

Taping
    As a new year approaches, resolutions abound. As it were, most of these resolutions fall into two categories: health and personal growth. For example, many people will give up smoking as the new year begins or vow to be more successful and productive; others will resolve to hit the gym regularly or eat healthier, rick willianen.