Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Criteria for APC examinations for UK qualified Physios - Do we have to have 12 months

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi there everyone,

I am just seeking help from anybody who may know whether I can gain eligibility to apply to the APC for the written and clinical assessment with less than 2 months clinical experience and having only just recently qualified from the UK in london in 2009?

I am confused as on the website there is nothing that refers to having a certain number of months experience to apply for the assessment process but wanna be extra sure... Please help

Any help please I would be grateful

P

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Criteria for APC examinations for UK qualified Physios - Do we have to have 12 mo

Hi,

I am just wonder about this, I d like to going work in Au from UK, where did you find these news?

Thank You

Tommaso

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Criteria for APC examinations for UK qualified Physios - Do we have to have 12 mo

Hello PJ

I only graduated last year (2009) from the University of Brighton. I have looked high and low on the APA website and I cant fine anything that states if your a UK newly grad you cant apply. I've gone ahead and submitted my application. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Terry

P_J
    Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Terry your right I searched everywhere too and am now in the process of applying to the APC for initial assessment too if that fails I will have to go do a 2 yr fast track course of BSc again so hopefully it doesnt come to that! Anyways, I am finding it quite hard to get those professional references and my deadline is end of this month if I wanna do the September exam!! Would you by any chance have a template or sample letter that you could share? Perhaps we should form a thread on the forum for people like me n u who are newly grads! I also graduated in 2009 frm KCl!!

Thanks

P

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

PJ

The application process is a mission. I am currently in Oz and I came out here with what i thought were all the necessary bits and pieces. But once i got out here I realised I had to obtain more documents or get documents resent from uni. The whole process has been a nightmare but thank god its all done.

The professional references I would get them from two senior lecturers from your university, thats what I did. Unfortunately i don't have mine anymore as I sent them with my application.

I would send your application by courier it will get here faster.

Good luck

Terry

P_J
    Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Terry!! How is your oz process going dear? I have just recieved my first reference finally!! From my university I require another hopefully sometime soon from one of my placements!! And then I can put thru my application. So how much post-grad experience have you got? Do you think we can make it thru the examinations especially the practical one makes me nervous thinking about it!!

P

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Terry you wouldnt be the terry who went to east london by chance?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

No Im not the Terry who went to East London.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Warwickshire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey Everyone

I am due to graduate this year from the UK. I am really interested in working in Aus, my plan currently is to gain a years experience in the UK first.

Does anybody know as a new graduate can you go straight into working in Aus with no experience. (I know you have to do the exams.) And how to go about applying for a VISA? Everywhere I have read seems soo complicated! I need an easy guide!

Vicki

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Warwickshire
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I was also wondering if you can locum in Aus without taking the APC examinations?

If you pass the APC written exam, how long have you got to do the clinical exam (in aus)?

x

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    liverpool
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hi there
    as a student entering my last year of study i am really interested in this thread as i will be looking to seek employment/residency in aus asap post graduation. Am i right in saying that you do not need to to apply for a visa first then judjing by your experiences and that you can sit the reg. exams post grad. does anybody know anyone whohas been through this process and been successful? i am feeling a bit low about it all as it seems a difficult process

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Canberra
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello

21 people have completed the assessment in the last 5 months - 11 of these people were UK-qualified physiotherapists.

The Physiotherapy Board of Australia (Not the APC) makes decisions regarding registration - their website is www.physiotherapyboard.gov.au

There is a category of registration termed Limited Registration in the Public Interest that enables a person to work with conditions on their practice.

The APC Initial Assessment criteria do not include postgraduate experience unless the regulatory authority in the country of education required this for full (unconditional) registration (for example South Africa).

However, there is a recency of practice criterion and if a person graduated more than 4 years ago and has no experience, he or she would not satisfy the recency of practice requirements.

There are a variety of visas - go to www.immi.gov.au for details.

The Australian Physiotherapy Council

P_J
    Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi everyone! I am wondering how hard is it to get a job based on this new limited registration for public service. I now have around 6 months post graduation experience am i still eligible to apply to the APC for the examinations? Or will I still be rejected due to limited experience?

Please help