Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Validation of work history & Referees, letter of good conduct and...

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    I have a few questions:

1. Does the person who provide me the validation of work history HAS to be the referee as well? On the last two pages of the 'Validation of Work History' form, there are parts 'to be completed by referee'. And in the application form, we also have to provide two referees' contact details. Whoever validate my work history, I HAVE to put them as referees? I feel that the one who provides me the validation of work history may not be the one who is appropriate enough to provide me a 'good' reference because not all manager works clinically in the setting.

2. In the validation of work history, the information required seems to be a summary of my extended CV and portfolio, e.g. therapeutic classes held, IST, presentations, courses, etc. Shall I ask my bosses to list out those?

3. In the form, it also asks to enter 'conditions treated'. I worked in an acute hospital, there are various conditions in different areas in such setting. Shall I ask my ex-boss to list out in details, e.g. COPD, Parkinsonism, Pneumonia, ACL injury,.... There are so many, and besides, that seems a 'lip-service' to me. Can he just write something more general?

3. As I haven't kept in touch with all my seniors in the past but I think I will be able to ask my ex-boss (manager) to complete the validation form. He works in the OPD but he is in-charge of the whole physio department (inpatient and outpatient, MSK, neuro, medical, surgical, ITU). Will that be OK if I only provide one validation form from him for my work in that hospital? I mean ask him to write out I did rotations in those areas. BTW, I have only worked in two hospitals and my current one only does orthopaedics.

4. How recent do I have to provide the letter of good conduct? It may take me another 3 months to complete the portfolio.

5. There are threads talking about case studies. When doing the case studies, how details should they be? I could remember a few senarios which I can write some reflective statements. However, I don't remember the medical history etc of the cases. Again, it sounds also a 'lip-service' to me because people can always make up cases.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Validation of work history & Referees, letter of good conduct and...

Hi,
    validation of work history: Look at the first section; the purpose is to validate employment history, etc.. The person who completes such a document is called "referee". And yes, it is like a summary of your CV. That's the whole point. Why should anyone believe what you write in your CV??? Ask you boss to list it, or get them to write an additional reference letter.
    A professional referee does not have to complete any form. It is the person, that they might call to get verbal information about you. One of the two professional referees needs to be a Physio.
    It is up to you, who you choose for which task and whether or not, you choose your professional referee to also complete the validation of work history.

to 3.) Conditions treated is neccessary, as you might use e.g. a rotation in Care for the Elderly for competencies in neuro. Now, unless your boss has stated, that indeed you were seeing neurological conditions there, it is not valid.

See the whole point of a work validation is to show that what you say is what you've done. It's called face value rather than lip-service.

Letter of good standing needs to be no less than 3 months old. I got mine just before I had my application package complete.

Case studies: There is two things. 1) actual case studies, done as real in-services, including all details/ references/etc. 2) some made up retrospectively, either based on real clients or on imaginary scenarios, who cares. The latter ones, I would put under reflective practice/ learning. The point is to show evidence of clinical reasoning.

Most of this I got from my own communication with the board and from the applications, some of my colleagues have shown to me. So, for all of us, it worked.

Just think that the whole point of your application is to prove the 10 competencies and that every statement you make needs to have some evidence to prove it. it is a lot of work, but not impossible. as they said before, keep it simple.
    Hope this helps, cheers,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Validation of work history & Referees, letter of good conduct and...

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi, Fyzzio,

Thanks for the advice.
    Will continue to work on the portfolio.