Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    dunedin
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Could I perform manipulation technics in new zealand, if I am not registered?

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hello everyone, I am a chilean physiotherapist and I would like to start doing massages and manual therapy in new zealand.

is that possible? or is there any regulation about it?

thanks a lot

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Could I perform manipulation technics in new zealand, if I am not registered?

Hi,
    no regulations for massage - you can offer massages without registration; you are just not allowed to call yourself a Physio - not to your clients, not on business cards or advertising, etc..
    Manual Therapy depends on the umbrella under which you were taught (I don't know the law, but am pretty sure), so if you were taught it as a Physio, you need to register as Physio, if you were taught as Osteopath, you need to register as Osteopath, etc.. As far as I am aware, manual therapy is a protected therapy and therefore underlies professional registration.

Other point is your clientele. Who would want to go to an unregistered Manual Therapist without professional liability and pay private fees when you can go next door to any registered Physio, Chiropractor, Osteopath etc.. and get it there for a fraction of the cost?

Good luck,
    Fyzzio

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyzzio For This Useful Post:

physiobob (12-12-2013)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    dunedin
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Could I perform manipulation technics in new zealand, if I am not registered?

thanks for the answer, but why would I charge more than a registered physio or chiropractor....?Itīs a pain in the ass to be registered as a physio in this country, they recommend me to study a postgraduate course, however for international students the fees are ridiculous...I am trying to find the legislation for the scope of practice of physiotherapists to find an accurate information..cheers.-

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    your question is strange. How much info have you gathered about the NZ Health system?
    Physios out in a private practice typically see patients who are covered by ACC. So the clients only pay a surcharge. In Auckland that is anywhere between FOC and $40,- per 30 min treatment session (most clinics that I know do on average 30 min sessions).
    We can only see Insurance clients if we are registered with them - and they won't take a health care provider without an acknowledged education/ certification.
    So - you will have to see private clients only, and that will be difficult.

Here is more about the scope of practice in NZ: The Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand > The Practice of Physiotherapy

It's only difficult to register as a Physio if your undergraduate education/ degree lacks in quality - compared to these 10 competencies that one has to fulfil.

Another way out is working as a Physio Assistant.
    Good luck,
    Fyzzio

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyzzio For This Useful Post:

brucenash (12-12-2013)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    dunedin
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thank you man, I guess you are right about the quality of my degree...because the physiotherapy board told me that they donīt have good experiences trying to homologate physios from Chile...I didnīt know about the insurance lolI am waiting for an interview for a job as an assistant.thanks a lot for the info...PS: I would like to study the master degree in manual therapy in the future and then revalidate my career...

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Quote Originally Posted by brucenash View Post
    PS: I would like to study the master degree in manual therapy in the future and then revalidate my career...
    That sounds like a great idea! Good luck.