Current Location
    LOS ANGELES, CHILE
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Begin as a physio assistant from Chile

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hello everyone, I am a physiotherapist from Chile. I have 13 years experience and I would like to work in NZ. I have a brother who lives there 13 years ago and has the nationality.
    I researched a bit and I know it's hard for a Chilean physio validate the professional title, but not impossible.My question is, what is needed to work as an physio assistant and once with the work visa begin procedures to validate? Can anyone is interested in a Chilean physiotherapist to work as an assistant?
    Meanwhile, I keep looking information to join my brother. Best regards from Chile

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Begin as a physio assistant from Chile

Hi David,
    1) Physio Assistant: for most Therapy Assistant jobs, there is no qualification required as such. A lot of workplaces appreciate a First Aid certificate but that's it. There are some Physio Clinics/ Education providers that offer Physio Assistant Training modules. I would definitely recommend them, but they are not compulsory. Anyway, as a Physio you most likely wouldn't need it (they might just help you to familiarise with the NZ health system).

2) Work permit: There are different ways to acquire a work permit in NZ. Check the Immigration NZ website. Heaps of really good information there. However, work visa and essential skills work visa require a professional qualification that is recognised in NZ. Therefore, these will require registration with the PTBNZ. It is very unlikely that you can get a visa based on a Physio Assistant job, as this is not 'skilled employment'.
    Try to apply for registration as soon as possible, as it might take a while to compile all the information (?and translations) and to complete the whole process. You also need to do an English test.

Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    LOS ANGELES, CHILE
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you very much for answering Fyzzio.
    I will consider the recommendations you gave me.

I think a course of English as I begin with the registration, it would be good for while. Kind regards
    Thank you very much for answering Fizzio. I will consider the recommendations you gave me.I think a course of English as I begin with the recognition, it would be good for while

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi David,
    just another little note.
    If you consider working in NZ, make sure that your English course also prepares you for the language assessments. The standard required for immigration is quite low (IELTS academic 6.5 overall), however, the same for the PTBNZ Registration is much harder (IELTS academic 7.5 overall, no score less than 7).
    Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Chile
    Current Location
    LOS ANGELES, CHILE
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others