Current Location
    cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Irish PT applying to work in USA

Hi folks,
    I'm an Irish Physio looking into work in the US.
    Is there anyone out there from UK/Ireland that has experience in getting started with this?
    Don't think i'll go with an agency so any advice greatly appreciated.
    -Should i contact PT board in state i will be applying for first or start at FCCPT and FSBPT websites?
    - What forms come first?
    - Will be looking to hopefully sit the NPTE early next year, does this timeframe seem reasonable?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    sydney
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Irish PT applying to work in USA

Hi, im from Wexford and would like to work in US too, do you know where I would even begin with the reg visa stuff etc, I havent started anything yet but have been looking on the fccpt websites. if you could give me any advice that would be great. Sorry I cant help you though!

Pad
    Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Irish PT applying to work in USA

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi there you decide which state (s) you'd like to apply to. Each use a different vetting organisation although it appears that FCCPT cover most states. That who I doing mine with.

Application process is slow so you'd wanna get cracking on it. You register online here
    Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy. This is for the Type 1 review. Which as far as I know is the one Irish/Uk need for Visa purposes. I have applied for this type.

You must pay at time of registration - 750$ plus additional fee for extra states applied to.

There is a checklist of things then that you must organise to post.

1. A letter to your University to release transcripts/modules etc to FCCPT
    2. A letter to the ISCP (or HPC in UK) to prove that you have license to practise as a physiotherapist in country of origin or where you studied physiotherapy.
    3. You must get a copy of your degree notarised by a Notary public*
    4. You must sign an Attestation form stating all information is correct plus a passport photo. Again you must get document notarized.
    5. One of the requirements is that applicants must do a TOEFL test of english proficiency. However, once you have studied in Ireland, UK etc you are exempt from this requirement.

* Quite a few solicitors are registered Notary public. Check beforehand that they are. Bear in mind you will be charged approx 50euro per document.

When FCCPT get all the required documents credit evaluation begins. According to the FCCPT website this can take 16 weeks.

So that is stage 1 of the process! Hope this helps