Current Location
    South Africa
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

South African trained Physiotherapist wanting to practice in the USA

Hi everyone,

I am a South African trained physiotherapist looking to move and practice in the USA.

Will my 4 year degree (Bachelor of Science in Physioatherpy - Honours) be the equivalent of an American post-baccalalureate degree in physical therapy?

From my understanding:
    -the FCCPT will review my previous work history and degrees in order to deem me fit to work in the USA.
    -I will have to pass the NPTE
    -I will have to obtain a HB1 visa?

Is this all I have to?

Is it better to accomplish these tasks through a staffing agency? If so, could anyone recommend a satisfactory one?

I would really appreciate receiving feedback, especially from someone that was trained in South Africa and is/has been practicing in the USA.

-P

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: South African trained Physiotherapist wanting to practice in the USA

Have not worked in The States but am undergoing the laborious process of acquiring licensure. It's certainly time consuming & u may find urself haemorrhaging mucho cash.

From my understanding:
    -the FCCPT will review my previous work history and degrees in order to deem me fit to work in the USA.

Is this all I have to?

U've itemised methodically & very simplistically the steps ...FCCPT, NPTE, HB1. Am unsure about degree equivalency. Ur Honours may be ur golden ticket or u may require a Masters depending when u qualified??? I had graduated eons ago and so my Bachelors was acceptable when I underwent the Type 1 Certification eval. FCCPT have lightning speed reflexes & any queries directed to them are speedily resolved.
    Collating the mounds of paperwork for FCCPT is rather hectic. U'll have to liaise with the university regarding submission of the paperwork. I waited 2/12's for them to finally produce the copious amounts of paperwork which they eventually sent off to FCCPT. Like everything in life, there's a cost involved. Since u will be acquiring an HB1 visa, Type 1 Certification will be appropriate. This implies that u will require TOEFL regardless of the fact that u emerged from the womb speaking queen's english or that its ur mother tongue or that ur tertiary education was conducted in english. TOEFL test centres are only available in Durbs, Gauteng & Pretoria.
    If ur FCCPT eval is found not to be equivalent, worse case scenario predicts u may need to fullfill both general as well as professional credits. Was found to be deficient of 12 general credits. Exceeded the amount of professional credits but was required to complete the Delegation module. General credits can be attained thru' CLEP of which no test centres are available in S Africa. Closest test centres Egypt & Thailand or head straight to The States.
    Professional credits may be acquired via distance learning using Phillipine Rehab Institute or University of St Augustine (some modules are via distance learning or on site lab sessions). PRI are a bit sluggish when it comes to email replies. Sent them 2 repeat emails 1/12 ago & still waiting for a pulse.

No recruiting agents to suggest but hoping this gives a bit of insight into the logistics of this possibly rewarding venture?

Good luck!!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Im almost there but from the UK. Just awaiting my visa approval and im heading over to start in October.

Tiffany Wiernusz at Julia Edmunds Associates has been one person ive relied on for help, shes been great and can get you a job,visa etc...

Good Luck and if she asks just say James put you in touch

Quote Originally Posted by capetownrocks View Post

Have not worked in The States but am undergoing the laborious process of acquiring licensure. It's certainly time consuming & u may find urself haemorrhaging mucho cash.

From my understanding:

Is this all I have to?

U've itemised methodically & very simplistically the steps ...FCCPT, NPTE, HB1. Am unsure about degree equivalency. Ur Honours may be ur golden ticket or u may require a Masters depending when u qualified??? I had graduated eons ago and so my Bachelors was acceptable when I underwent the Type 1 Certification eval. FCCPT have lightning speed reflexes & any queries directed to them are speedily resolved.
    Collating the mounds of paperwork for FCCPT is rather hectic. U'll have to liaise with the university regarding submission of the paperwork. I waited 2/12's for them to finally produce the copious amounts of paperwork which they eventually sent off to FCCPT. Like everything in life, there's a cost involved. Since u will be acquiring an HB1 visa, Type 1 Certification will be appropriate. This implies that u will require TOEFL regardless of the fact that u emerged from the womb speaking queen's english or that its ur mother tongue or that ur tertiary education was conducted in english. TOEFL test centres are only available in Durbs, Gauteng & Pretoria.
    If ur FCCPT eval is found not to be equivalent, worse case scenario predicts u may need to fullfill both general as well as professional credits. Was found to be deficient of 12 general credits. Exceeded the amount of professional credits but was required to complete the Delegation module. General credits can be attained thru' CLEP of which no test centres are available in S Africa. Closest test centres Egypt & Thailand or head straight to The States.
    Professional credits may be acquired via distance learning using Phillipine Rehab Institute or University of St Augustine (some modules are via distance learning or on site lab sessions). PRI are a bit sluggish when it comes to email replies. Sent them 2 repeat emails 1/12 ago & still waiting for a pulse.

No recruiting agents to suggest but hoping this gives a bit of insight into the logistics of this possibly rewarding venture?

Good luck!!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Cape Town
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by james_physio_365 View Post
    Hi Im almost there but from the UK. Just awaiting my visa approval and im heading over to start in October.

Tiffany Wiernusz at Julia Edmunds Associates has been one person ive relied on for help, shes been great and can get you a job,visa etc...

Good Luck and if she asks just say James put you in touch

Thanx for the heads-up James!

Am green with envy on ur progress & ur imminent departure in Oct. Well done!!!!

Have read many of ur invaluable posts (thanx++++++++) over the past few months & cant seem to wrap my head around ur ability to sit for ur NPTE as well as ur CLEP's at the same time. Isn't PT education equivalency thru' the FCCPT a prerequisite to being able to sit for ur NPTE?????

Thanks for the contact: J Edmunds Associates. Will certainly mention u by name.

Any possibility of getting ur email address? If not, no problem.

Thanx again!!!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Your welcome and thanks. Seriously, Tiffany has been a massive help and she speaks with physios from UK and Ireland, helps them get over to sit the exam but knows a lot about how everything works. I couldn't be where I am without her advice to be honest.

Youre right but basically the new York state dept accepted the initial eval from the fccpt with just two extra cleps I had done, 12 credits...I was 50 short on general ed! So I was approved to sit the npte via NY...I still had to top up credits with fccpt to get type 1 cert but I did all of that and studied for the npte which I passed after doing the cleps etc...its a long road but anyone can do it.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by capetownrocks View Post
    Thanx for the heads-up James!

Am green with envy on ur progress & ur imminent departure in Oct. Well done!!!!

Have read many of ur invaluable posts (thanx++++++++) over the past few months & cant seem to wrap my head around ur ability to sit for ur NPTE as well as ur CLEP's at the same time. Isn't PT education equivalency thru' the FCCPT a prerequisite to being able to sit for ur NPTE?????

Thanks for the contact: J Edmunds Associates. Will certainly mention u by name.

Any possibility of getting ur email address? If not, no problem.

Thanx again!!!!