Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question Career Direction

Taping
    I Qualified as physiotherapist BSc(Hons) degree in the United Kingdom. I have completed 2 years junior rotation covering all aspects within this time. As a senior II on general rotation i completed 6 months Neurological rehabilitation and 6 months MSK Outpatients. I am now working as a static Senior II Physiotherapist in an MSK department for the last 3-4 months.

The Question/Dilema!
    Should i go to new zealand/ Australlia for a year as i have never had the opportunity to travel previously and it is something i have always wanted to do? Should i work or start a Masters in Manual therapy in New Zealand? Would it develop my career, as well as give me the opportunity to travel a little? Any advice/ suggestions Welcome

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Career Direction

Go for it! the world is your oyster. But only go when and where you want to and not because you feel you "should". You seem to have done a really good basic tour since qualifying and the chance to work in other countries and further your physio and worldly knowledge is there.
    Do some basic checking on countries that may interest you, acceptance of UK qualifications, visa, workpermit etc. Even if it's not a too high powered job abroard the learning of another culture experience is valuble. Don't take for granted that values, ideas on physio or anything are the same in another country. All new jobs give you something.......worst case of course could be that it was a bad choice but you are presumably young and lots of time to build on professional knowledge anyway.
    OK, I am biased as my aim after qualifying years ago was to go, somewhere, anywhere, elsewhere, travel, work, see it. And I'm still out "there".
    Other physios from my year never went out of UK or even the same area as they qualified in. They are happy too, and have progressed in their careers, so travel isn't a must, although I would say that the chance to do so, if possible, should be taken.
    Have fun whatever! regards. Ancient Travel-Physio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Monty James

You would be very welcome to come and work and study here. You'll love it. For a small country we have a well developed tradition of physiotherapy and a high standard of practice. We have two world class universities with great post grad musculolskeletal programmes. Have a look at University of Otago (based in Dunedin with outposts in Christchurch and Dunedin and Auckland University of Technology physothearpy school websites

Getting through the gate is a bit difficult for if you completed with a three year degree course - The NZ physio board is very stickly about this but it is just a matter of jumping through the hoops and you'll be in.

NZ physios enjoy good recognition throughout the English speaking world so I think you would find any work experience and further education you did hear would only put you on a higher footing.

Unfortunately our jobs aren't always the most lucrative - that really reflects that our country such a small economy in NZ. However the lifestyle opportunities are great! Why not get registration here then try a few locums to see what you like. Or you could just enrol in one of our courses straight off. If you like bigger cities go to AUT; if you like the idea of a small university town with a fantastic student feel, and great access to the outdoors come Otago.

Go for it!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thumbs up Re: Career Direction

thank you for all the advice and suggestions! I have decided to spend one to two years as a physio in New Zealand. I am currently in the process of applying for registration and saving. My intention is to be in New Zealand by October 2010. thanks once again

Kind Regards Monty

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

If you are looking for jobs in australia you should search medical jobs australia in the meantime you could search the query on google and you will be given many links with better information on the same.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    u.s.
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hi i am mark this is a nice topic

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    this is an interesting thread. Listen I am way behind monty james in that I am newly qualified and heading to NZ in a few months to work as a Physio.
    Thing is I kinda think that I may be there for maybe two years or so and then come home and really want to make the most of it. Do you experienced therapists advise me to go working in the various rotations in hospitals first? Or should I get MSk experience in NZ? I do feel that I will end up in private practice down the road but I wud really value your advice!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Pedroso

Two matters:

1. Personally I think doing some time in the public health system, no matter which country you are in, before moving onto private practice, is broadening. You just won’t get the range of clinical exposure in the private practice. As we move more from a pure musculoskeletal focus in private practice to more of a primary care focus, I think this will mean we need to be knowledgeable about a wider range of medical conditions, disablement and preventive health measures. Whether you do this in the NHS at home or over here would make little difference as our hospital systems have more similarities than differences.

2. There is another thing you should be aware of. A few months back the government removed the full subsidy on fees paid to physios on our universal accident and injury compensation system (ACC). While we have been through this before it is having major repercussions for the way private practices work. As they start charging copayments for their services, there are less patients and those that do front up cut their treatments shorter. There will be less work around with a number of practices probably having to cut back on staff. In addition to this change in the private practice sector there appear to be less graduate positions available in the hospitals and with less work in private practice our graduates are now queuing up for jobs in the hospital system.

This has all has happened quite suddenly and with more changes imminent cutbacks in the way ACC works and less money in the district health boards (public hospitals) job vacancies may become scarce. I could be overstating the case. It is unclear how things will work yet. However our finalist students who are just about to graduate are having to work harder to find their first job with less work available. I would strongly advise you to secure a job before getting here – unless you are ok about just coming for a holiday
    In contrast Australia is still looking very good for jobs for new graduates.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi gcoe,

thanks so much for your reply to my thread. It is nice to have this advice from an experienced therapist before I head. Thanks again

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    US
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yes this is really interesting thread.

[URL="http://www.stuvu.com/"]College Reviews[/URL]
    [URL="http://edu.stuvu.com/calculator/"]College Admission Calculator[/URL]
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Kia Ora,

Just to share a quick story with you. I am now working a rural hospital because I had to move to make money. I was locumming at a private practice prior to this on a per patient contract - With the ACC publicity we went through a huge dip in patients, and I ended up earning about 400 a week for the 10 weeks i was there. Which didn't help as I am saving to do a month in the UK for a mates wedding.
    Moral of the story: in the current climate - try to avoid per patient contracts.

So feel free to go into private practice, I have lots of friends in private who are doing well, some are on per patient contracts and some are on salary. Salary private practice work wasn't common in the areas that I'v been working. So you'll have to be careful about your decisions re per patient or salary. Also beware that you may find yourself quite loney going into private after having been in the public system... I know I did.

Any other questions regarding why NZ is a more awesome place to be than australia and where you are thinking about working then feel free to give me a bell. You will get paid about twice the amount to work in OZ it's true, but NZ is awesome on many many levels.

Chur.