Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Oakville
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Can one undergo massage therapy soon after physiotherapy?

Taping
    Hey!! My leg got sprained a few weeks back and I have undergone physiotherapy treatment but there is no effect. It still hurt when I walk. So one of my cousins asked me to undergo massage therapy from a clinic in Oakville ( Massage Therapy Treatment | Hydrotherapy and Stretches | Oakville Chiropractic Centre ). She said she has read a blog recently which says massage therapy is better than physiotherapy. Is that true? Can I undergo massage therapy soon after physiotherapy treatment? Will there be any side effect? I'm just worried about my health. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!!

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Austin, Texas
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Can one undergo massage therapy soon after physiotherapy?

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Hi Angelicadic98 - great questions. I'm a PT who is now doing a Massage Therapy course. Both 'professions' have a lot to offer someone in pain. And if PT is not helping you at the moment, it may not be PT that is the problem (meaning, it could be the physio or the approach that is the problem, or your condition). No guarantees that everyone you see is going to help you. So the same can be said for Massage Therapy - it may or may not help. Ideally, whoever sees you does a thorough assessment of you from head to to - and looks for the most likely cause of your pain. And then they should adjust their treatment accordingly (this should include education to you - correct diagnosis, home exercise program, adjustments to your ADL's to help relieve pain and increase speed of recovery etc). I had treatment for my neck stiffness from an expert PT, who made my neck worse. Massage is great for stiffness/pain. And of course time (for healing), and hot/cold packs. Hope you find the best therapy, and are feeling much better soon!