Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Confused!! - Becoming an Equine Physio

Taping
    Hi everyone, this is my first visit here!

I'm only 16 but am very interested in becoming a physio, preferably an equine physio if I can cope/get in to the course...I was wondering what grades you all got at GCSE/A Level and whether there are any physio schools in particular in the UK that you could recommend?

I know specifically GCSE grades don't have to be straight A's or anything like that, but a certain number of passes and then whatever at A-Level...I think my GCSE's should come out fine being mostly A's and few A*'s, maybe a couple B's...and at A-Level I would take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and either Double Business Studies or Business Studies traditional and Music, probably dropping Music in the second year. At my sixth form we have to do 5 subjects to AS and four to A2 so I cannot start on four else I would have to do Critical Thinking and figured I may as well go for Music!

Are there other subjects in particular that I should look into taking etc? And again, how high a grades you think I would need to stand a good chance of getting into the course?

Thanks and I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in this section I did look but it was hard to find somewhere appropriate!

Tinsley

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Alberta
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Confused!! - Becoming an Equine Physio

I don't know how it works in other countries but...
    In Canada, physiotherapists can do some post-graduate training to work with animals (including horses). I think there has been some contraversy with the veterinarians that feel the background training of physios (who are trained to treat humans) isn't sufficient to be treating animals. However, I know of a couple physios that are working closely with the vets that they have convinced of their skill / knowledge level. And they have developed an association along with training programs for physios.
    Anyway...attached is a Canadian website. It MAY help at least with links and I'm sure that if you contacted Laurie Edge-Hughes (Four Leg Rehabiliation) or Leslie Kerfoot they would be able to help you out with more info. Both are therapists that now work with animals. Laurie works with most animals but I know her more with her work with dogs. I believe Leslie works exclusively with horses. Anyway...their contacts are on the site below.

C.H.A.P. The Canadian Horse and Animal Physical Therapists Association

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Scotland, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

in the UK first you have to train and qualify as a human physiotherapist....then work with humans for at least 2 years....then do the animal physiotherapy training course (2 more years) before you can work as an animal physio

So first you'll need to get into uni to study human physio....there is lots of info on the net about entry grades etc

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    England
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Wink Re: Confused!! - Becoming an Equine Physio

Hi. You do not have to be a human physiotherapist in order to train as an animal/equine/veterinary physiotherapist. The College of Animal Physiotherapy offer a great course.

Forum Founder Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Animaluv is correct - College of Animal Physiotherapy - Diploma in Animal Physiotherapy

Our Mission Statement At The College of Animal Physiotherapy, it is our mission to provide the opportunity for professionals to extend their knowledge and skills into the exciting world of Animal Physiotherapy without having to train as a Human Physiotherapist.
    As the demand for Animal Physiotherapists ever increases we aim to provide Veterinary practices with access to highly trained and professional physiotherapists, so that they are able to provide the additional service of Physiotherapy to their clients.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    OK Bob, but read the small print again! This is information from the link you gave us:
    Animal Physiotherapy is much more diverse that people imagine. There are many different backgrounds that can lead to a desire to provide physiotherapy for animals. Some of these are:

Veterinary Nursing
    Racing – jockeys, retired jockeys, trainers and stable and kennels hands.
    Riders - from all equine disciplines, trainers, instructors, yard managers.
    Therapists in related fields – massage therapists, chiropractors, osteopaths and hydrotherapists.
    Professionals from other walks of life who have a high level of animal knowledge and experience and an unfailing passion for animals.

My comment:
    Without an excellent base of knowledge from a related relevant profession or someone with age and experience a course possible in one year of 15 hours a week (more small print about the distance learning and then the rest is there to be read) is not on!
    This 16 yr old person must get other qualifications first! She has to be a good rider and deal with horses on a regular basis. I say that as a long qualified physio working with people, as a horse owner still striving to find out how it all works and with an extra swiss qualification in canine and equine physiotherapy done part time on a course open to vets and physios. The amount of movement analysis needed for equine therapy, and that includes horse and rider (one of the main problems of the horse can be faulty training and riding and not just accidents) is vast. A base in human physio is excellent, and then some sort of income likely from the start (i hope ) Or qualifications in the direction of horsemanship, nice but very hard work with long hours. It's also physically demanding with horses, one has to think about doing it aged 50-60 still and also get good qualifications somewhere else to fall back on. Having said that I wouldn't like to stop anyone going for it as it's great working with horses. ("my today": 4°-6° c with rain, dark, miserable, wet stables, dirty horse blankets, smelly clothes in the morning versus 22° nice warm light practice, clean humans in the afternoon.take your choice!)