Country
    Flag of Sweden
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Red face New here, and slightly clueless!

Taping
    Hi everyone!

I have never been to this forum before, since I just came upon it today while looking for information on the Internet.

I am a physiotherapy student and I was sitting with a very long assignment today, realizing our school has provided us with no reference literature relevant (!) to it, and I am slightly panicking...

I was wondering if anyone might know these things better than me, maybe who is further in to their program or already graduated. Or just a few hints and tips. Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

These are the ones I am very unsure about;

* What maes the pelvis tilt posterior/anterior

* In which joint does the movement occur while doing a sit up resp. a crunch

* Which muscle/s stabilize resp. mobilize situps/crunches

* Which muscle/s stabilize resp. mobilize hip extension []Exercise Library - Fitness, Nutrition, Exercise, Strength Training & More - American Council on Exercise

* What happens if these muscles are too weak (during hip extension)

* Which muscle groups could be a source of error if they are too short (during hip extension)

* Why does transversus abdominis get activated when the extremities move

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: New here, and slightly clueless!

Hi Elva,

Sorry to rain on your parade a little but you're unlikely to find textbook answers to all of those questions...and i'm not going to provide them for you. But here's a few tips on answering questions in physio:

It's all about developing your clinical reasoning and your logical thought processes. So basically head off to your favourite anatomy text and look carefully at the muscles, ligaments etc around the pelvis and the structures you're being asked about. (and one of the best lessons a lecturer ever taught me way back in the day was to know your anatomy). Then find out what the actions of those muscles are and which actions they oppose. And then it's up to you to use your logic and mental gymnastics to extrapolate what would happen if the muscles were too weak/strong/tight/long etc.

Essentially the questions aren't asking you to find the perfect answers from a book and re-hash them to your lecturers, ...it's asking you to use your logic and reasoning to apply your anatomical knowledge, and biomechanics to justify your answers. So you should be able to find out the basics like the anatomy and biomechanics (your levers and pivots/fulcrums) and then apply that to answer the questions.

Good luck.
    msk101

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Bloemfontein
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: New here, and slightly clueless!

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Hey everyone I am also new here. Im a physio student from RSA. We are currently busy with final exams and I am quite clueless with one of the patients i have received.

The patient is a TBI which does not respond to either verbal commands or general facilitation. There is no spacisity present and the patient can do avtive movements. Hip an d knee control is severly decreased in extension.

The patient acknowledges my presence but does not work with the acton asked to perform. Any guidlines advice or referrences will be greatly appreciated

Desperate
    Sharky