Hello,

I'm a student physiotherapist and I just started my first placement in an inpatient intermediate neuro-rehab department. I'm getting my first patient soon and I was just wondering what sort of things I should be looking at and what kind of therapies I could do for this new patient.

They had a cervical laminectomy c3-c6 in September. Weak around trunk extensors and legs, but no sensory disturbance. Good sitting balance. They do pivot transfers from wheelchair to bed; and can walk short distances with a zimmer frame and supervision.

Significant mobility problems, no neuro problems in both upper limbs but decrease in dexterity in both hands. No tone in L.L. but proximal weakness in hip flexion bilaterally.

I thought I would work through a basic assessment of dermatomes and muscles strength. Active and passive ROM. Sitting balance. Bed mobility etc. As for treatments, I guess that depends on the assessment, but from the information I have so far, it would probably be getting the patient to be independent with their wheelchair mobility, standing balance in the parallel bars, maybe a bit of walking on the parallel bars if the patient and myself feel confident.

Would there be anything any of you would recommend? I've never been exposed to such a patient, so I'm not sure what I should be careful of. Any advice would be useful. =). Thank you!