Bangalore, India
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

ACL Reconstruction

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi,

I am a 33-yr old male, a language teacher by profession.

I fell off the bike on 4th March this year, and the X-rays revealed nothing. When I couldn't get better even after a week, an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI was suggested, which showed that THERE IS A COMPLETE TEAR OF ACL. I changed the doctor who has the degrees MBBS, and FAMS (Swiss). He examined and said I need to undergo the reconstruction surgery about 6 weeks later, and he put me on to Quadriceps Building Exercise, and Electric Stimulation. I started with the weight of 2 kg and now I am at 6.5 kg of weight bearing. The doctor wanted me to see him Friday, so we could fix the surgery date. But he didn't come on Friday, and a few more days. So, I went to another doctor, who has the following degrees, MBBS, MS (Ortho) and DNB. He examined my knee yesterday and said I don't require the ACL Reconstruction right away, and advised me to stop using the crutches one after the other in about a week's time interval. He suggested that I wear a knee cap for about 8-10 hours in the day and don't wear it while I sleep at night. (I have been wearing the knee-brace while at sleep). He said we will go ahead with the surgery if the knee buckles up, or you start to feel that the knee is likely to give way.

What do I do now, as the former doctor said we were going ahead with the surgery (if I had continued with him, he would have operated on by now) whereas the present doctor says we won't require it at least right now. He also said that Yuvraj Singh (Indian Cricketer, and an agile fielder at point) has also been playing with the ACL injury (without undergoing the surgery).

Please advise, thanks.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: ACL Reconstruction

ACLs can be misleading in both xrays and Wikipedia reference-linkMRIs. They can also heal themselves sometimes, given enough time. So, in effect, both men may be right in their diagnoses. You'll not lose a lot by waiting and seeing if things right themselves. However, having surgery when it's not entirely necessary could lead to early onset of arthritis. I would caution patience. It'll not get worse and might even get better.

BTW, I wouldn't put so much weight on a person's letters as I would on the facts of their medical practice. For instance, how many ACL reconstructions do either of these men do in a year? (500+ would be my absolute minimum) What are their good outcomes percentage-wise, and their poor outcomes. What's their infection rate? You need to ask them these questions, not just look at the diplomas on their walls! Just a suggestion!

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]RTKR 18th March 09[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

The Physio Detective Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Penshurst, Sydney, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: ACL Reconstruction

I would like everyone to try this...click on Random1982's name and see what all his posts are about...

...notice how he refers to his website on protocols...

...notice how he doesn't really help or answer specific questions properly...

I suspect he is in it to promote his own website...

I will post this on all of his replies.

If you are going to spruik your website, at least have the decency to contribute to the discussion properly!