Current Location
    Derby
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ongoing knee problems

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like a bit of advice really.

I had a lot of lower limb problems when I was growing up - 6 weeks in traction with "irritable hip" and 2 separate hospital admissions for leg cramps
    In 1999 at the age of 17 I was playing cricket when I slipped down an indent in the grass, my right leg straightened abruptly and part of my knee joint "broke off". This floated around for a week or so then the loose body went into my knee joint and locked it. I was listed for an arthroscopy +/- loose body removal and had an inch long bit of bone removed from the joint. I was told at the time that the gap would fill in with cartlidge but should expect early signs of athritis around the age of 30.

I was under physio twice a week for a month building up the quads etc and again around 2003 (4 years later) when problems resurfaced and muscles needed work again.

I have been relatively pain free for the last 7 years, apart from the odd ache on over-use and morning stiffness in winter..... however I've not really played major sport since although I do enjoy walking and walk nearly 2 and a half miles a day home from work. I had repeat X-ray in 2009 after 4 weeks of dull pain in the knee joint but it was NAD.

However, at the back end of July at a youth football tournament, I ran over some uneven gravel and "jarred" my knee when coming to a stop. It hasn't been the same since. There has been a dull ache at the front left of the knee (where the biggest arthroscopy scar is and where I'm told the bone was removed from) and it is seemingly more unstable, painful and often gives me shooting pains up the limb.

This week I have also developed cramps in my right calf (the same leg) which has restricted proper use of the limb.

The pain seems to be worse when I've moved from sitting to standing and vice versa. The knee also aches when I've been using stairs or going up/down even the slightest slope.

I am asthmatic, so I'm reluctant to persist with NSAIDS despite having no real reaction to them, and I do use Deep heat and a knee support when I'm out with the football team training/matches (Under 15s are quite active)

I'd appreciate any advice regarding treatment or management as I'm now 28 nearing the magic 30 first outlined to me) and it's starting to get me down.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    namebia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Ongoing knee problems

Hi Buddy,
    My sincere advise is to consult an orthopaedician.You need to undergo a detailed physical examination of the knee.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Windsor, Berkshire
    Member Type
    Commercial Supplier
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thumbs up Re: Ongoing knee problems

HI to all on this thread..

We are the UK distributors of KT Tape which is the market leading solution in Kinesio Therapy Taping..

Reading through the thread we would thoroughly recommend the product to you.. we are not officially launching until November 2010 however we are selling trial packs as low as £1.50 plus shipping.. so you can now try..

KT Tape is recommended by physios worldwide and is used for muscle and joint pain, sporting injuries and sprains all over the body.

If you are interested get in touch with us and we can arrange to send some trial packs with instructions and directions to you.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Derby
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ongoing knee problems

Quote Originally Posted by linbin View Post
    Hi Buddy,
    My sincere advise is to consult an orthopaedician.You need to undergo a detailed physical examination of the knee.
    Thanks for the advice.

I went to my General Practitioner as previously planned and have gained a referral to a sort of "Physio Triage" run at the practise which could have one of three outcomes......

Further investigation by means of Wikipedia reference-linkMRI
    Further investigation via arthroscopy
    Yet more physio.

It appears I have a meniscal fray....

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Windsor, Berkshire
    Member Type
    Commercial Supplier
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Ongoing knee problems

We would be happy to send you some samples of KT Tape to try out on your knee.. please review the taping videos on YOu Tube - search KT Tape Knee.

If you are interested in trying the tape out please contact me [email protected] and I will send you some samples to evaluate.

Regards
    Ketan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Derby
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Just remembered I'd asked in here, so I thought I'd let you know what happened.

I went to the GP and got a referral for physio triage, but whilst waiting for this my knee gave way, twice, on bending. I ended up being referred to the Orthopaedic clinic via Accident and Emergency and this lead to an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI scan last October.

Following that, it showed a 2 cm defect at the femoral condyle which continued to give me quite bad pain on mobilisation, weakness and clicking right through January.

I was lucky enough to get a cancellation slot for an arthroscopy and microfracture procedure which was uneventful. I'm now 3 weeks into my recovery none weightbearing

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Texas
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

There are many treatment options like medications, therapies, and mind-body techniques. It is advisable to learn the benefits and risks of each, before choosing one.

OrthoTexas

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    California
    Member Type
    Social Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey, Jedi
    I would advice you to consult an orthopaedic doctor. They would recommend proper physical therapy exercises to help relieve knee pain.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of US Virgin Islands
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Kinesiologist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Kinesio tape eases the pain, reduce inflammation, support muscles, and boost athletic performance.

Kt tape worked wonders on my knee as it was dislocated years ago and flares up sometimes in tournaments….
    tape greatly facilitated matters I .have referred it to others as well.

Really liked it.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Austria
    Current Location
    Arizona
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I want to say just WOW. Your posts are so informative. Thanks.

Life is beautiful

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Portugal
    Current Location
    Downham Market
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear jedimasterlincol, It is hard for me to give you advice without making an assessment and relying only on your statement. Anyway, it seems to me that you are taking the necessary steps for the recovery, although you already know that you will never have a "normal" knee again. This way, it is important to maintain the range of movement/motion and minimize pain. Exercises on water will decrease the effort allowing you to keep going on your "maintenance", and will help on reducing pain. You can also try acupuncture.
    Best of luck!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    chennai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hi knee structure :can be subjected to wear and tear easily
    without scan we cant progress any further
    now joint position shows you the abnormality or weakness,work accordingly easy.we at pebblescloud provide preventive therapy for women out there.care to visit n drop in suggestions in my mail.