UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Fractured neck of femur

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hello everyone,

I'm a physio student (and new to this forum!) - currently researching further learning objectives for a newly qualified physiotherapist rehabiliating an elderly patient with fractured neck of femur (post-op).

Continuing professional development is, of course, a requirement of registration with the HPC and CSP.

I have thought about talking about Treadmill Gait Training courses and neuromuscular stimulation courses, however I feel that I am being a little obscure and missing the point of my assignment. Is there perhaps more obvious points for further learning that I have missed out on?

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm new to physiotherapy.

Thank you very much, Violet.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Fractured neck of femur

Can you explain more about the question you've been asked. Is talking about just mobilising the patient and doing ROM exercises too simple? because thats what I'd be doing for a #NOF post op

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Scotland
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by pudding_bowl View Post
    Can you explain more about the question you've been asked. Is talking about just mobilising the patient and doing ROM exercises too simple? because thats what I'd be doing for a #NOF post op
    Thank you Pudding Bowl (nice name!) - perhaps I am reading too much into the question.

The question was basically to justify problems in a problem list (pain, swelling, decreased AROM, decreased functional mobility) together with a case study on an elderly male, and information about his social life, subjective and physical examination.

The other 40% of the marks of the essay was to outline further learning objectives for the physiotherapist in this case.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I hated physio school, too much trying to work out what they were asking us. Justify the problems? Surely they are all justified by the fact the person broke their Femur!
    Further learning objectives for the Physio... hmm... increased knowledge of the condition and the physiological effects that can occur etc? What mobility aids will be required for the stages of bone healing. What the surgery will involve. Just think about what you don't know and I figure those are things that you can learn and turn into learning objectives... oh the anaesthetics used and the effect they have on the respiratory system is really important and what physios will do e.g. mobilise and other breathing exercises

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Scotland
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by pudding_bowl View Post
    I hated physio school, too much trying to work out what they were asking us. Justify the problems? Surely they are all justified by the fact the person broke their Femur!
    Further learning objectives for the Physio... hmm... increased knowledge of the condition and the physiological effects that can occur etc? What mobility aids will be required for the stages of bone healing. What the surgery will involve. Just think about what you don't know and I figure those are things that you can learn and turn into learning objectives... oh the anaesthetics used and the effect they have on the respiratory system is really important and what physios will do e.g. mobilise and other breathing exercises
    Agreed, I'm in first year so the wording takes a while to get used to! Thank you so much, this has really helped and got me thinking about other ideas too.